Contribute
Register

Cloned Lion partition hangs on 'still waiting for root device' / boot-uuid-media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
GTX 960
Hi,

I have carbon-copy-cloned my working 10.7.4 system to another partition on the same HD. I want to install Mountain Lion on that while keeping the original Lion install intact.

The cloned Lion system doesn't boot though, hangs on:

rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: <...long HEX...>
From path: "uuid", Waiting for <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID"1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
ITEITX87x: found ITE IT8728F
Still waiting for root device.

Some people resolved this error by unplugging USB devices but that didn't work here. Any ideas?

Hi,

I have carbon-copy-cloned my working 10.7.4 system to another partition on the same HD. I want to install Mountain Lion on that while keeping the original Lion install intact.
Any ideas?

Why do you want to do this? Why not just install ML on the partition to start with? No need to install over Lion at all.
BTW, copy your Install Mac OS Mountain Lion.app somewhere else or zip it and burn to cd so that after you run it you will still have a copy.

There are 2 reasons:
- I'd like to be sure that my CCC backups actually work as fully bootable backups
- I'd like to upgrade Lion to ML so I don't have to reinstall my apps and things from scratch, of course if that doesn't work out I'll just do the clean install thing

Still stumped as to why that backup throws such an error while the original has no problem...

Haha nevermind! I did another USB check. Although mouse and keyboard weren't in USB3 ports I put them on another bus and now it booted fine... Amazing how these crazy little things can cost you half your night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back