Contribute
Register

clone system onto a new hackintosh or install from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X570 Pro
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
[SOLVED] clone system onto a new hackintosh or install from scratch?

Hello everyone :)

I have a fully working hackintosh with the following configuration:
- Gigabyte ga-z87x-oc
- i7-4770k
running OSX 10.10.1

I would like to build a second (similar) hackintosh with the following configuration:
- Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97
- i7-4790k
- OSX 10.10.1

My question is, should I install from scratch, configure and install all my apps? Or would it make sense to clone my current system onto the new machine and kind of "adapt" it so that the new hardware works smoothly (install new drivers/kexts)?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Best
-a-

Last edited:
there's one way to find out.
Try it and report back.

there's one way to find out.
Try it and report back.

lol :D

If anyone knows an obvious reason that I am not aware of for this not to work, please save me some time (and prevent me from looking like an idiot when I report my failure)

Tx
-a-

You're better off going with a fresh install. It will probably boot but aspects of the installation will be specific to the system it was created on. You will find issues that will take longer to resolve than it would've taken to back your files up and restore them to the new machine, if they can be resolved at all. Just save yourself a headache and do it properly now.

Hello everyone :)

I have a fully working hackintosh with the following configuration:
- Gigabyte ga-z87x-oc
- i7-4770k
running OSX 10.10.1

I would like to build a second (similar) hackintosh with the following configuration:
- Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97
- i7-4790k
- OSX 10.10.1

My question is, should I install from scratch, configure and install all my apps? Or would it make sense to clone my current system onto the new machine and kind of "adapt" it so that the new hardware works smoothly (install new drivers/kexts)?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Best
-a-

Fresh installation on the new hardware then connect your original system drive to the new machine. Boot into the fresh installation and use Migration Assistant to move your setting , Apps and data safely across to the new install.

Fresh installation on the new hardware then connect your original system drive to the new machine. Boot into the fresh installation and use Migration Assistant to move your setting , Apps and data safely across to the new install.

Thank you all very much for your input.
Best,
-a-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back