Contribute
Register

Clevo W230SS - No HDMI video out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Clevo W230SS
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
Graphics
Intel HD 4600, nVidia Geforce GTX 860M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I've successfully installed Yosemite 10.10.1 on this machine. First, the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 1536MB, nVidia GTX 860M (via Optimus)
Display: 1920x1080
Audio: VIA VT1802
Wi-Fi/Bluetooth: Broadcom BCM94352

I've applied the Clevo P15SM battery patch, rename GFX0 to IGPU, Haswell brightness fix in MaciASL.
I've also applied IRQ Fix and Audio Layout 12 (which I changed to 3 for the patched AppleHDA)

Most things work, including graphics acceleration, full 1080p resolution, laptop screen brightness (thanks to ACPIBacklight.kext), Wi-Fi, battery %, and (I think) power management.

But I cannot figure out why I do not get HDMI video out. Someone on another forum said that renaming GFX0 to IGPU and applying Haswell brightness fix would make it work, but I'm still stuck :( That same person also said that VGA works on some monitors, but I don't have VGA to test at the moment. (My system only has HDMI and VGA ports for video)
Bluetooth also doesn't work, but that's not a huge problem for me (although it would be great if you had any ideas).
Speakers work, but headphones and microphones don't. (I used a patched AppleHDA for Yosemite)
I also haven't figured out the location of the dedicated graphics so that I can disable it, but that is also a small issue compared to lack of HDMI video-out.

Attached are my IOReg, original dsdt/ssdts extracted from linux, my attempts at patching them (I only put the *.aml files under the clover patched folder) + SSDT.aml from pike's script, and my Clover config.plist (in case there are any problems there). I've also attached a list of loaded kexts if it helps in any way.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• szh’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    4.3 MB · Views: 205
  • original_dsdt_ssdt.zip
    88.5 KB · Views: 125
  • config.plist
    7 KB · Views: 282
  • patched_dsdt_ssdt_2.zip
    87.4 KB · Views: 130
  • loaded_kexts.txt
    22.2 KB · Views: 293
But I cannot figure out why I do not get HDMI video out. Someone on another forum said that renaming GFX0 to IGPU and applying Haswell brightness fix would make it work, but I'm still stuck :( That same person also said that VGA works on some monitors, but I don't have VGA to test at the moment. (My system only has HDMI and VGA ports for video)

What happens when you plug in an HDMI monitor?

Also, it does not appear you have HD4600 implemented correctly. See here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...tel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite.html

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Plugging in a HDMI monitor (it's a DVI monitor and I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable, if that's important) does nothing - the system still works, and the external monitor goes to sleep. When booting in verbose mode, the text shows on both screens - but that's probably the work of the laptop bios.

The way i did HD4600 was based on the old information in that thread I believe - before the FakePCIID thing, it was 2 patches in Clover. It's working perfectly on the internal display though - resolution, QE/CI and all. But I can change it to the new method and reply.

Thanks for looking into it!

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Plugging in a HDMI monitor (it's a DVI monitor and I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable, if that's important) does nothing - the system still works, and the external monitor goes to sleep. When booting in verbose mode, the text shows on both screens - but that's probably the work of the laptop bios.

The way i did HD4600 was based on the old information in that thread I believe - before the FakePCIID thing, it was 2 patches in Clover. It's working perfectly on the internal display though - resolution, QE/CI and all. But I can change it to the new method and reply.

Thanks for looking into it!

Use the new FakePCIID method.... And try a real HDMI monitor.

You could also try forcing a monitor detection (SysPrefs->Displays (Option)"Detect Displays")

Hi,
I have removed the 2 Clover kext patches to do with graphics acceleration, and have used the FakePCIID method successfully to get QE/CI/resolution on my laptop display.

I've tried both "detect displays" and a HDMI monitor, to no avail. My DVI to HDMI monitor should work, actually, because I just remembered it works perfectly on an old Sandy Bridge hackintosh I have.

I don't really have any other ideas. Is it something to do with the framebuffer?

Maybe this would be interesting though: I usually leave the HDMI plugged into the laptop while using it (despite it not working on OSX), but without the HDMI plugged in, sometimes when booting, after the verbose text output ends, the screen is a glitchy mess of colourful vertical lines, and only closing and opening the display lid fixes it. (yet sometimes it boots perfectly!). I noticed with the HDMI cable plugged in it happens much less often. Maybe the system allocates more graphics memory to handle both laptop display and external display?

I hope there is a solution to this. Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I remember on a fresh install, i only have 800x600 resolution and no acceleration but I get HDMI video out...so hopefully it's possible somehow.

Hi,
I have removed the 2 Clover kext patches to do with graphics acceleration, and have used the FakePCIID method successfully to get QE/CI/resolution on my laptop display.

I've tried both "detect displays" and a HDMI monitor, to no avail. My DVI to HDMI monitor should work, actually, because I just remembered it works perfectly on an old Sandy Bridge hackintosh I have.

I don't really have any other ideas. Is it something to do with the framebuffer?

Maybe this would be interesting though: I usually leave the HDMI plugged into the laptop while using it (despite it not working on OSX), but without the HDMI plugged in, sometimes when booting, after the verbose text output ends, the screen is a glitchy mess of colourful vertical lines, and only closing and opening the display lid fixes it. (yet sometimes it boots perfectly!). I noticed with the HDMI cable plugged in it happens much less often. Maybe the system allocates more graphics memory to handle both laptop display and external display?

I hope there is a solution to this. Thanks for any help!

Are you using a patched DSDT/SSDT? Did you follow the guide?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

EDIT: I remember on a fresh install, i only have 800x600 resolution and no acceleration but I get HDMI video out...so hopefully it's possible somehow.

Working HDMI video using VESA drivers is irrelevant to when you're using Intel HD drivers.

Yes, I did. I posted them in the first post. I think they're done correctly, but you may be able to find things I missed out.

On a hunch, I went to try the various ig-platform-id. In summary, I managed to get HDMI out working properly using 0x0d260007. The display is detected as a Samsung SyncMaster in System Preferences and the resolution is correct. However, the laptop display is flickering and unusable.

I attempted to try the script from https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/appleintelframebufferazul-sh-v3-0-beta/ and tried to swap the 2 ig-platform-id. That didn't solve anything (as expected of someone trying things without knowing how they work).

It seems like HDMI being on port 7 made it work. But when I booted the system with 0x0a260006 (my currently working one, internal display only), I couldn't change the last port to 7 in the script. So I'm really clueless.

Is it somehow possible to "combine" the working parts of the 0x0a260006 and 0x0d260007 framebuffers?

Yes, I did. I posted them in the first post. I think they're done correctly, but you may be able to find things I missed out.

You missed some things. You might want to (re)read the guide.

On a hunch, I went to try the various ig-platform-id. In summary, I managed to get HDMI out working properly using 0x0d260007. The display is detected as a Samsung SyncMaster in System Preferences and the resolution is correct. However, the laptop display is flickering and unusable.

It seems like HDMI being on port 7 made it work. But when I booted the system with 0x0a260006 (my currently working one, internal display only), I couldn't change the last port to 7 in the script. So I'm really clueless.

Is it somehow possible to "combine" the working parts of the 0x0a260006 and 0x0d260007 framebuffers?

You could patch 0xa260006 so it contains the 0306 connector. Basically, you replace the 0105 (port 5) config with 0306 (port 7).

Assuming you're using Clover, it is a simple patch in KextsToPatch:
Name: AppleIntelFramebufferAzul
Find: 0105 0900 0004 0000 8700 0000
Repl: 0306 0300 0008 0000 0600 0000

Thanks for the kext patch. I couldn't get it to work though. I tried entering your values directly and via Clover Configurator, the latter looking like this:
Code:
<dict>        <key>Comment</key>
        <string>Replace port 5 with 7</string>
        <key>Find</key>
        <data>
        AQUJAAAEAACHAAAA
        </data>
        <key>Name</key>
        <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
        <key>Replace</key>
        <data>
        AwYDAAAIAAAGAAAA
        </data>
    </dict>
I assume pasting it directly in config.plist was the right way to do that, but both ways yielded no difference.

Perhaps it's because the original connector in port 5 was for DisplayPort, and the one in port 7 for 0x0d260007 was for HDMI?

Also, I'm not sure what I missed in the DSDT/SSDT patching guide. I extracted with Linux, disassembled together with iasl, and patched them to compile without errors (I think...). I didn't apply all the common patches though, is that what you mean?

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for the kext patch. I couldn't get it to work though. I tried entering your values directly and via Clover Configurator, the latter looking like this:
Code:
<dict>        <key>Comment</key>
        <string>Replace port 5 with 7</string>
        <key>Find</key>
        <data>
        AQUJAAAEAACHAAAA
        </data>
        <key>Name</key>
        <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
        <key>Replace</key>
        <data>
        AwYDAAAIAAAGAAAA
        </data>
    </dict>
I assume pasting it directly in config.plist was the right way to do that, but both ways yielded no difference.

Perhaps it's because the original connector in port 5 was for DisplayPort, and the one in port 7 for 0x0d260007 was for HDMI?

Also, I'm not sure what I missed in the DSDT/SSDT patching guide. I extracted with Linux, disassembled together with iasl, and patched them to compile without errors (I think...). I didn't apply all the common patches though, is that what you mean?

Thanks for all the help!

Post the resulting config.plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back