Contribute
Register

Clean install vs. Upgrade

Upgrade or Fresh Install

• Upgrade

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Fresh Install

Votes: 44 66.7%
  • There's a new version of OS9? Where have I been?

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm debating this myself. My argument against a fresh install is that it's always a lot of work and never works out of the box. Doing a fresh install for say linux or windows is a different animal, because the installations are designed to run on just about any hardware. OSX is exactly the opposite, in that it's only designed to run on specific hardware. So once you've figured out how to make it run on your hardware, but the time you upgrade again you've forgotten when you learned. I installed Mountain Lion a couple of years ago. I have nothing again ML, but safari 6 is almost useless and chrome isn't supporting it anymore.

My question is will a straight upgrade keep the fixes from the current build? or will it somehow say "hey, this isn't a real mac" and trash it.

I'm debating this myself. My argument against a fresh install is that it's always a lot of work and never works out of the box. Doing a fresh install for say linux or windows is a different animal, because the installations are designed to run on just about any hardware. OSX is exactly the opposite, in that it's only designed to run on specific hardware. So once you've figured out how to make it run on your hardware, but the time you upgrade again you've forgotten when you learned. I installed Mountain Lion a couple of years ago. I have nothing again ML, but safari 6 is almost useless and chrome isn't supporting it anymore.

My question is will a straight upgrade keep the fixes from the current build? or will it somehow say "hey, this isn't a real mac" and trash it.

A lot has changed since Mountain Lion. You're going to need to install newer versions of Clover and apply the appropriate patches. In your instance, I think a fresh install would be best.

Personally, the last time I did a clean install of OS X was when I transitioned from PowerPC to Intel. Even when I moved from my Mac Pro to hackintosh, I just installed Clover on top of my existing install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back