Contribute
Register

Clean install vs. Upgrade

Upgrade or Fresh Install

• Upgrade

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Fresh Install

Votes: 44 66.7%
  • There's a new version of OS9? Where have I been?

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
B450M-DS3H
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
With the release of Mountian Lion this past week I have been debating whether to upgrade or just format and reinstall. In the end I decided to reinstall completly as I didn't have anything important on my drive, and my ML wouldn't straight upgrade from Lion (just from the app not Unibeast). I wanted to know what you guys think? I always looked for upgradability in an OS, but it seems everytime I just fresh insatll it anyways. What do you do?

Upgrade... always an upgrade for me. My initial install was from a 10.6.3 DVD and since then, everything was an in-place upgrade.
Why mess up a good working thing by starting from scratch again?
I have everything working correctly, why throw all that progress away only to start from scratch again.
Not only that, I have several programs that are authorized/registered/etc... and hate to re-install/re-authorize all that again, get new codes, challenge-response,. etc.
My MacintoshHD is now about 700GB full. So there's a lot of stuff here so for me, it's not that easy reinstalling from scratch.

I never use more than 100GB on any drive I own. But I see your point

I have never, ever upgraded my OS; whether it's Windows or Apple or on my iPhone or iPad. We get OS's and iOS's usually once a year or so, so I feel that that is a acceptable amount of time to warrant a fresh install. Though, with Windows I have used Ghostimage for about two years now, as it takes so long to install the ridiculous amount of updates.

I always do a clean install, always.

I have a mac that I can use to do a network install from, so I just avoid any potential trouble and always do a clean install.

what is the logic behind this?

No logic. I just have never ever used more than 100GB. I always uninstall things once I'm done. Not on purpose, of course.

Are you just doing this for *fun* ?

Or are you using your Hackintosh for real work?

Are you just doing this for *fun* ?

Or are you using your Hackintosh for real work?

I'm in high school. I type papers, but mostly just chill online (on here). I play Left 4 Dead 2. I just don't install a ton of stuff.

I guess I am a bit nerdy and a bit paranoid. I do a clean install and verify that things work. From there, I use migration assistant to pull apps and settings from my main drive, then clone the entire setup back to the main drive (SSD versus older drives for development). I do keep my home directories on another drive, so the entire process is pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back