Contribute
Register

Clean Install on Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer is yes :)

Perfect, thank you. One other question - some of you mentioned that iMessage works when booting from Clover. I've also seen others mention that Clover can easily exist alongside Multibeast. The guides that I have viewed have indicated the steps to install Clover from scratch. Since I have multibeast installed with UEFI, can someone point me in the right direction on steps to boot with Clover while keeping my multibeast intact so that I can use iMessage?

After reading up here, I'm still confused about one thing. If I install the beta UEFI on my motherboard; which I also use for my windows 8, do I need to reinstall windows 8?

I ask because after using the DSDT I can't seem to boot back in to the drive, haven't tried AppleACPI Rollback just yet, but if I can get audio, and its less painless for future updates, and I don't have to reinstall my windows 8, I'd like to update the BIOS.

Thanks!

Guys,

USB3 is running just fine on this board. In fact, everything installed without a hitch and is 100% stable. To get usb3 running, go to S/L/E and delete IOUSBFamily.kext and install the version I've attached to this message. Reboot and enjoy. Audio working, usb3 working and everything else is working out of the box. Messages also works fine if you are booting using clover.

The usb3 trick involves replacing the GenericUSBXHCI kext inside the plugins folder of IOUSBFamily with version 705.4.4.

Reboot, shutdown all working as well. I can't find anything that doesn't work to be totally honest.

I should add, I'm also on I1L UEFI if that makes any difference. Been using it since it came out with Mavericks too.

Happy to report this fixed my issues!! Thanks!

How much memory do you guys have, i have 16GB that working perfectly in mavericks, but can not boot unless i use Try maxmem=8192.. in Yosemite, it working very good now but would like to use all the memory

How much memory do you guys have, i have 16GB that working perfectly in mavericks, but can not boot unless i use Try maxmem=8192.. in Yosemite, it working very good now but would like to use all the memory

Are you able to boot w/o parameters from Unibeast? If yes, have you tried to copy the Extra folder from Unibeast to the HDD?

Are you able to boot w/o parameters from Unibeast? If yes, have you tried to copy the Extra folder from Unibeast to the HDD?

no, i have to use Graphicsenabler=Yes and PCIRootUID=1 maxmem=8192

I´m on F12 bios. Everything is work, just can not use all the memory.....

Now that i have a Hard Drive with system that is booting, i make a copy of HD and going to play around with it....

maybe it has something to do with profile, using macmini 5,1?

I got my system up and running yesterday. Still missing USB 3 and iMessage. Going to mess around with both today. Anyone fixed either of those yet?

Also, @linw, I could not get it working without upgrading my BIOS to UEFI. I didn't swap my drives out but created a DOS bootable USB drive using Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie on a windows machine I had access to. Threw the gigabyte files in there and everything worked fine. Make sure you delete your DSDT kext beforehand or else you won't be able to boot. I did a clean install to fix all of that.
I should have stayed at 10.9, Chimera and F12 BIOS.

I had the UEFI BIOS upgrade.
DSDT.aml removed.
Chimera 4.0.
Reboot.
Kernel Panic in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

I made a Clover 2957 installer stick following this guide. http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html
config.plist-GE=Yes-NVIDIA, 10.10 folder, FakeSMC/NullCPU/ethernet driver
Clover is booting, but can not boot to installation no matter boot flags.

I made a Unibeast stick. Installer will boot. Yosemite installed to a new separate drive.
Reboot. I can't use Unibeast stick/Chimera to boot no matter boot flags.

I tried booting the Unibeast install using Clover stick.
It boots up! Setup wizard. Spinning wheel of death at account creation.

Argh!

Guys,

USB3 is running just fine on this board. In fact, everything installed without a hitch and is 100% stable. To get usb3 running, go to S/L/E and delete IOUSBFamily.kext and install the version I've attached to this message. Reboot and enjoy. Audio working, usb3 working and everything else is working out of the box. Messages also works fine if you are booting using clover.

The usb3 trick involves replacing the GenericUSBXHCI kext inside the plugins folder of IOUSBFamily with version 705.4.4.

Reboot, shutdown all working as well. I can't find anything that doesn't work to be totally honest.

I should add, I'm also on I1L UEFI if that makes any difference. Been using it since it came out with Mavericks too.

I've been a little out of touch with this thread, so I apologize, but thank you for pointing this out. I'll give this a try.

I just recently switched over to using Clover, and while it took a while for me to stumble through everything it's really fairly straightforward. The only thing I don't have working is the USB3, so I'll give this a shot later tonight when I get home.

I should have stayed at 10.9, Chimera and F12 BIOS.

I had the UEFI BIOS upgrade.
DSDT.aml removed.
Chimera 4.0.
Reboot.
Kernel Panic in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

I made a Clover 2957 installer stick following this guide. http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html
config.plist-GE=Yes-NVIDIA, 10.10 folder, FakeSMC/NullCPU/ethernet driver
Clover is booting, but can not boot to installation no matter boot flags.

I made a Unibeast stick. Installer will boot. Yosemite installed to a new separate drive.
Reboot. I can't use Unibeast stick/Chimera to boot no matter boot flags.

I tried booting the Unibeast install using Clover stick.
It boots up! Setup wizard. Spinning wheel of death at account creation.

Argh!

I figure now is a good time as ever to break down my Clover install here. I actually performed the install using my Unibeast drive.

I performed the install, same as always, except I did NOT run MultiBeast after I got a desktop. Rather, I ran Clover and followed the Yosemite/Clover guide, installing Clover using the UEFI route and rebooted. This included the FakeSMC and ethernet kexts and nothing else. During the first reboot, I popped into the UEFI/BIOS settings.

My system is currently configured to boot UEFI-capable first, followed by legacy, and I reordered things to allow my SSD to boot up first. Clover was able to boot the first time. From this point on was where I had a lot of hassle, but now that I look at it, it's not as bad.

When I booted via Clover, the first thing I did was grab Clover Configurator. Mounted the EFI partition and made a copy of the config.plist there, as config_orig.plist. By doing this, I had a config file that would cover me if I couldn't reboot (this happened a LOT until I figured out what I was doing). Then, I used Clover Configurator to create a new config file using the config generator, saved this as the new config.plist. From here I began to build on it, adding in things like the SMBIOS information (for iMessage support), saved, and reboot.

At this stage, one of two things will happen: either Clover will boot your drive, or it won't. If it doesn't, it's OK. At the Clover boot menu you can have it read a different plist file (in this case, I changed it from config to config_orig and tried booting again, which allowed me to get back into my system). By being able to do this, I could try a few different things to get everything working, basically baby steps. Each time I found something that worked, I copied the config and named it config_working.plist.

Clover is a beast. It took me a while to get it working, but by stepping through it I had a fallback each time in case I screwed things up terribly.

Finally!

I upgraded from Mavericks (not fresh install) and am 100% functional (except for USB 3.0, will tackle that another day).

I had a Mavericks install that was flawless. Yosemite completely destroyed it. The old tricks simply didn't work. Good news is I don't need as many hacked kexts with Yosemite. In the end the installation is actually much simpler.

System:

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Ver 1.0
OS on Crucial M550 SSD
Radeon HD 6850 Video card

First problem:
I could not get Yosemite to run with old-school bios (F10-F12). At that time I had multiple issues. No sound, no network, boot hangs, you name it.
Installed UEFI Support & Downloads by making a boot USB running FreeDOS http://www.freedos.org/download/

Go into the new bios an enable ACHI etc.

Booting into Unibeast with the USB was never an issue. Just make sure you aren't trying to use one of the USB 3.0 ports. At some point i did have it so crossed up I had to boot in safe mode (-x) and use the disk util to do a permission repair right before installing Yosemite. Otherwise the install would fail because it couldn't unmount.

Once installed, I could always boot on the SSD in safe mode.
Most issues were caused by using too many of the old options and kexts in Multibeast.

In the end I used:

multibeast.jpg

The only modified kexts on the system right now are:

AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

JMicronATA.kext

RealtekRTL8111.kext

VoodooTSCSync.kext

Most problems with the upgrade install seemed to come from hacked kexts hanging around from the Mavericks install. Once i got down to just the ones above it was good to go.

It initially would not boot without -x or -f boot flags. Fixed this with a rebuild of the kernel cache:

sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache -K /System/Library/Kernels/kernel /System/Library/Extensions/

The RealtekRTL8xxx.kext that used to work for Mavericks no longer worked. RTL8111 works with Yosemite.

I also no longer need the hacked bluetooth kexts to get the BCM20702A0 bluetooth adapter to work. If you leave them in there bluetooth will NOT work.

The thing boots like lightening thanks to the UEFI.

Survived another major OS revision! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back