Contribute
Register

Clean Install on Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing will change with the flag -v. It just showing the boot steps on the screen, that's all.

Have you face any issue while installing OS X with the native 10.10's AppleACPIPlatform.kext ??

I forgot to mention that right before my initial post the Multibeast settings were modified. I added the NullCPUPowerManagement selection. Since then it does not hang on the grey screen, but it has the issues as stated earlier. Namely it will occasionally fail to boot and the monitor turns off or my mouse freezes and I'm stuck on the login screen. I probably should have given more observation time before posting, but my concern is that the -v flag will not show where it hangs because there is nothing on the screen to look at.

In addition, I would really like to get USB 3.0 working. I use external backup drives right now, and USB 2.0 is too slow. Consequently I don't back up frequently enough. I was thinking about replacing the kext file that was uploaded on the thread. The subsequent posts confused me a bit so I wanted to clarify the directions. I am physically deleting the IOUSBFamily kext and not touching the GenericUSBXHCI kext as mentioned in a later response, right? I feel I'm close. Thanks for the help!

I forgot to mention that right before my initial post the Multibeast settings were modified. I added the NullCPUPowerManagement selection. Since then it does not hang on the grey screen, but it has the issues as stated earlier. Namely it will occasionally fail to boot and the monitor turns off or my mouse freezes and I'm stuck on the login screen. I probably should have given more observation time before posting, but my concern is that the -v flag will not show where it hangs because there is nothing on the screen to look at.

In addition, I would really like to get USB 3.0 working. I use external backup drives right now, and USB 2.0 is too slow. Consequently I don't back up frequently enough. I was thinking about replacing the kext file that was uploaded on the thread. The subsequent posts confused me a bit so I wanted to clarify the directions. I am physically deleting the IOUSBFamily kext and not touching the GenericUSBXHCI kext as mentioned in a later response, right? I feel I'm close. Thanks for the help!

Please check whether the GenericUSBXHCI.kext is loaded or not ??

Yes, GenericUSBXHCI.kext is in S/L/E

Use the below command in terminal to check whether the kext is loaded or not.

Code:
kextstat |grep GenericUSB

41 0 0xffffff7f81b18000 0x1a000 0x1a000 net.osx86.kexts.GenericUSBXHCI (1.2.7) <37 12 7 5 4 3>

Followed the instructions. Still no USB 3.0. :(
43 0 0xffffff7f81b16000 0x1a000 0x1a000 net.osx86.kexts.GenericUSBXHCI (1.2.7) <37 12 7 5 4 3>

Since working on USB 3.0 my computer has failed to boot 3 times. All three times it went into a power saving mode right before the login screen. Screen goes black and can't wake it. I noticed on the last power down it could not unmount the home folder. Don't know if thats relevant. I had an issue with permissions after migration.

Edit: I noticed the option on Multbeast for "Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for use on UEFI motherboards with locked MSRs." I don't know if my board has a locked MSR or not. Is this needed for the z68x board?

Followed the instructions. Still no USB 3.0. :(
43 0 0xffffff7f81b16000 0x1a000 0x1a000 net.osx86.kexts.GenericUSBXHCI (1.2.7) <37 12 7 5 4 3>

Since working on USB 3.0 my computer has failed to boot 3 times. All three times it went into a power saving mode right before the login screen. Screen goes black and can't wake it. I noticed on the last power down it could not unmount the home folder. Don't know if thats relevant. I had an issue with permissions after migration.

Edit: I noticed the option on Multbeast for "Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for use on UEFI motherboards with locked MSRs." I don't know if my board has a locked MSR or not. Is this needed for the z68x board?

If you have locked MSR, then you will face rolling reboot.

wow, thanks a lot, that solved my USB3 issue!

Guys,

USB3 is running just fine on this board. In fact, everything installed without a hitch and is 100% stable. To get usb3 running, go to S/L/E and delete IOUSBFamily.kext and install the version I've attached to this message. Reboot and enjoy. Audio working, usb3 working and everything else is working out of the box. Messages also works fine if you are booting using clover.

The usb3 trick involves replacing the GenericUSBXHCI kext inside the plugins folder of IOUSBFamily with version 705.4.4.

Reboot, shutdown all working as well. I can't find anything that doesn't work to be totally honest.

I should add, I'm also on I1L UEFI if that makes any difference. Been using it since it came out with Mavericks too.

Thanks for sharing!

I have nearly the same hardware, and now a fully functional yosemite install. :)

Worked like a charm, just installing a bunch of audio apps:

-Ableton live 8 seems to work fine
-RME rayDat PCI card works perfectly
-Logic 9 seems to work as well

Yeah! Happy camper here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back