Contribute
Register

Clean install of macOS Mojave -- can I install from a working HS setup to a blank SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB
All the guides start with creating a bootable macOS Mojave USB installer. I already have a perfectly functioning HS install and want to clean install Mojave (once the nvidia web drivers drop or I bite the bullet and get an RX 580....) on to a new SSD (that way I'll have both OS's available). Can I just run the installer through HS and point to the new/blank SSD during the install process? What about getting clover setup on the new SSD?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. TIA!

All the guides start with creating a bootable macOS Mojave USB installer. I already have a perfectly functioning HS install and want to clean install Mojave (once the nvidia web drivers drop or I bite the bullet and get an RX 580....) on to a new SSD (that way I'll have both OS's available). Can I just run the installer through HS and point to the new/blank SSD during the install process? What about getting clover setup on the new SSD?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. TIA!

You can create the USB stick from your High Sierra system. For me, the createinstallmedia method worked fine: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-create-a-macos-mojave-public-beta-installation-usb.254626/. Unibeast 9.0.0 works as well, but doesn't recognise the GT 640 Kepler card that I use OOB.

I'd recommend to unplug all disks other than the new SSD from your system once you start installing Mojave. That way you will make sure that the High Sierra partition can't accidentally be used by the installer or during the reboot.

You can create the USB stick from your High Sierra system. For me, the createinstallmedia method worked fine: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-create-a-macos-mojave-public-beta-installation-usb.254626/. Unibeast 9.0.0 works as well, but doesn't recognise the GT 640 Kepler card that I use OOB.

I'd recommend to unplug all disks other than the new SSD from your system once you start installing Mojave. That way you will make sure that the High Sierra partition can't accidentally be used by the installer or during the reboot.

I guess my question is whether or not I need to create a new USB stick? If I'm already booted into HS, can't I just run the Mojave installer and point it to the new SSD? Then once Mojave is installed, either boot into Mojave (if it works) or HS (which should remain working), run the Clover installer and point that to the Mojave SSD? Then I should be able to boot entirely into Mojave with a fully functioning install? At least that's how it's playing out in my mind ;) Thanks!

You can, no need to install Clover to the new SSD as you can boot both from the original Clover installation.

You can, no need to install Clover to the new SSD as you can boot both from the original Clover installation.
Good morning, I read that you successfully installed macOS 10.14 with your Pulse RX 580. May I ask your for the exact GPU model number? What PSU model are you using? The reason why I am asking for these informations is because I tried a XFX Radeon RX-580 (RX-580P427D6), but was unable to work for a straight 30 minutes. The issue was repetitive freezes and reboots. I was wondering if the problem was the card itself or an underpowered PSU(Evga SuperNova 750, 750W). Thanks.

Good morning, I read that you successfully installed macOS 10.14 with your Pulse RX 580. May I ask your for the exact GPU model number? What PSU model are you using? The reason why I am asking for these informations is because I tried a XFX Radeon RX-580 (RX-580P427D6), but was unable to work for a straight 30 minutes. The issue was repetitive freezes and reboots. I was wondering if the problem was the card itself or an underpowered PSU(Evga SuperNova 750, 750W). Thanks.

Hello

The card is a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+, 11265-01-20G Rev. E7 and my PSU are a Corsair HX750w. The card never gave me any trouble, I just plugged it in (both power connectors) and added the latest Lilu and Whatevergreen, it has been running perfectly ever since.

Thanks! I want to start completely fresh -- so new config.plist, etc. Now I'm giving nvidia about 3 more weeks before I buy a rx580 ;)

Hey, have u managed to do this?

Had I known this was an option, I wouldn't have to waste hours of trying to boot from a USB stick :) my mobo is very picky.

I have a Sierra install, and can launch the Mojave installer from there...

Hello

The card is a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+, 11265-01-20G Rev. E7 and my PSU are a Corsair HX750w. The card never gave me any trouble, I just plugged it in (both power connectors) and added the latest Lilu and Whatevergreen, it has been running perfectly ever since.
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back