CPU
i7 Haswell 4770K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 960 2gb
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I installed Mavericks on my Haswell 4770K a few years ago and haven't updated it since. But I've decided I want to start using the latest version of Logic Pro. I want to do a clean High Sierra install on a new SSD. The trouble is when I try to download High Sierra it won't allow me to. I presume because I'm using Mavericks. Is there another way to download the full High Sierra installer? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I installed Mavericks on my Haswell 4770K a few years ago and haven't updated it since. But I've decided I want to start using the latest version of Logic Pro. I want to do a clean High Sierra install on a new SSD. The trouble is when I try to download High Sierra it won't allow me to. I presume because I'm using Mavericks. Is there another way to download the full High Sierra installer? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Which system definition are you using ?
Our old default was MacPro3,1 but as that does not qualify for Sierra and above we now recommend iMac14,2 as the entry level.

Hi there. Thanks for replying. Yes I think it's using the system definition MacPro3,1. I'm thinking it might be better if I update my Mac Mini to High Sierra and then create a USB install from there?

Well that didn't go well. I decided to upgrade the Mac Mini to High Sierra and now it won't boot. It gets stuck on the progress screen at about 1/8th progress. None of the recovery options work sand neither does internet recovery. Despite having and Ethernet cable connected it still asks for WiFi and the after putting in the WiFi password it gives an error after about 5 mins of the globe turning. So basically the Mac Mini is hosed :( It's a Mac Mini Server 2012 btw.

That is a pirated illegal copy of macOS.

Using that will result in an immediate and permanent ban.
Oh really? I didn't know that. OK I'll give that a miss then.

OK so I started up my Mac Mini this morning and decided to wait a bit longer and this time the install completed although it took about 40 minutes. So now I have High Sierra on my Mac Mini 2012. I guess I can now create a USB install for my Haswell 4770K.

So this whole High Sierra installeration been quite a saga. I've installed it about half a dozen times and each time I ran into a particular problem which is caused an error meaning I have to reinstall again. Anyway this time I did a fresh install and booted to the High Sierra desktop after some restarts. Next thing I did was install the Nvidia web driver. I restarted and managed to get back to the desktop and both of my 4K 40 inch monitors were working at full resolution and 60 Hz. Next I opened multi-beast and ticked the various options from previous installs I knew that worked. This included the USB driver, ethernet driver plus under the graphics I ticked Nvidia web driver. I also chose the Clover boot manager. I clicked build and when that was finished I restarted. The Clover boot manager loaded and it then booted to the Sierra desktop. The only problem now is that suddenly my 2nd monitor is no longer being recognized. This is a Samsung 40 inch UHD TV connected using HDMI 2.0. This was previously working until I installed the various options from multi-beast. So currently I have my main Phillips 40 inch 4K monitor working but not the Samsung. I also decided to try installing the Nvidia fixup from Multi-Beast but that didn't fix the monitor problem. So if anyone has any hints as to how I can get the 2nd monitor working again I would be grateful. Here's what I have installed.

Multibeast.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back