[RESOLVED] Clash between (/of) the network cards: BCM943602CS & NC360T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus H170-PRO
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB (Previously GTX 950)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm seeing an issue when I install the NC360T dual NIC ethernet card alongside the Bluetooth & Wifi combo card BCM943602CS where the wifi stop working due to "Wi-Fi: No hardware installed". If I remove the NC360T then wifi reappears so there's a clash of some sort between the two. I'd appreciate if anyone has any suggestions for what to try next to get them to work together (I initially assumed a hardware problem and shuffled the cards around, to no avail) as I'm very much just guessing now when trying to interpret information.

I've attached IORegistryExplorer output for when the system is running with (20170618 ZIP) and without (20170619 - eth card removed ZIP) the NC360T installed. I've also uploaded the CLOVER contents from my EFI partition. I'm going to poke around and see if I spot anything myself.

P.S. For the curious: The onboard NIC is flakey so I plan to disable it when I've "proved" the NC360T. Then I'll be routing forwarded services to one of the NICs and LAN "stuff" over the other. WiFi is pretty much just for things like Apple Watch.

Attachments

• James’s iMac 20170619 - eth card removed.zip
    958.7 KB · Views: 84
  • James’s iMac 20170618.zip
    864.9 KB · Views: 82
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
I'm seeing an issue when I install the NC360T dual NIC ethernet card alongside the Bluetooth & Wifi combo card BCM943602CS where the wifi stop working due to "Wi-Fi: No hardware installed". If I remove the NC360T then wifi reappears so there's a clash of some sort between the two. I'd appreciate if anyone has any suggestions for what to try next to get them to work together (I initially assumed a hardware problem and shuffled the cards around, to no avail) as I'm very much just guessing now when trying to interpret information.
Just to follow up on this as I believe I have resolved the issue - in the sense that I believe I know why this is happening. I always believed that the board I have is the ASUS H170 PRO but what I actually have is the ASUS H170 PRO/USB3.1. They're almost identical but there are two interesting differences, one of which is pertinent to this issue:
1. The LAN on the PRO/USB3.1 is the Intel I219V while on the PRO it's the Realtek RTL8111H. I had noticed this difference before but assumed it was just a late spec change and since it worked anyway, I treated it as curiosity
2. When you connect a PCI-E x4 (or higher) card to the second PCI-E x16 slot then the two PCI-E x1 slots are disabled on the PRO/USB3.1 while on the PRO the second x16 slot is limited to x4. So, in my case the NC360T is an x4 card and so the slot occupied by the BCM943602CS gets disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back