Graphics
Geforce GT 640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just built my new Hackintosh with a Z77 Gigabyte Mainbord and Core i3 processor. Everything is working fine so far (and was very easy to set up - thanks tonymacx86!).

However I also added a Geforce GT 640 graphics card, which also was immediately recognized by Mac OS (shows up in System Profiler) after setting after setting graphics enabler = NO. So I wanted to try it out by playing Civilization V (from Steam) but was very surprised to see that it would not run fluently at all. Even on the lowest settings scrolling in the map is only at (roughly estimated) 5 fps. It's unplayable.

Is this normal? A friend of mine has it on his 21.5" iMac (the 2011 edition) and it runs smoothly in high details, yet that is a Radeon card.
Are Apple's Nvidia drivers so bad or did I miss to install something important in Multibeast?

Any hints are highly appreciated. I don't want to switch to Windows to play games...

And I am on OS 10.8.2. I first installed Mac OS and when everything was running I put in the graphics card. Does that make a difference?

I'm in the same boat. Just built a z77 machine with an i7 3770k and GTX 650 and tried to play Borderlands from Steam (the Aspyr Mac port) - I had to dial it down to crap, and it is maybe 10 fps. I also own a Mac Mini 2012 and it plays the same game okay with mid-range settings, and that has just the built-in 4000.

Anyone out there have some ideas for a noob that could help?

I installed a new EVGA GT 640 and purchased Borderlands 2 thru steam, it runs perfectly in Win 7 with High settings but in ML 10.8.2, I had to drop quality to low and I'm getting strange tearing and lines. I'm pretty frustrated I've had to put so much effort into a card that is supposed to be supported OOB... I did a fresh install which didn't help, I did figure out that you have to disable hardware acceleration in Safari for Youtube videos. If anyone figures out what we're doing wrong I'll Fedex you a Beer lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back