OS X 10.8
CPU
i3 3220
Graphics
Geforce GT 640
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I just built my new Hackintosh with a Z77 Gigabyte Mainbord and Core i3 processor. Everything is working fine so far (and was very easy to set up - thanks tonymacx86!).

However I also added a Geforce GT 640 graphics card, which also was immediately recognized by Mac OS (shows up in System Profiler) after setting after setting graphics enabler = NO. So I wanted to try it out by playing Civilization V (from Steam) but was very surprised to see that it would not run fluently at all. Even on the lowest settings scrolling in the map is only at (roughly estimated) 5 fps. It's unplayable.

Is this normal? A friend of mine has it on his 21.5" iMac (the 2011 edition) and it runs smoothly in high details, yet that is a Radeon card.
Are Apple's Nvidia drivers so bad or did I miss to install something important in Multibeast?

Any hints are highly appreciated. I don't want to switch to Windows to play games...

And I am on OS 10.8.2. I first installed Mac OS and when everything was running I put in the graphics card. Does that make a difference?

Motherboard
GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
i7 3770k
Graphics
MSI GTX 680 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm in the same boat. Just built a z77 machine with an i7 3770k and GTX 650 and tried to play Borderlands from Steam (the Aspyr Mac port) - I had to dial it down to crap, and it is maybe 10 fps. I also own a Mac Mini 2012 and it plays the same game okay with mid-range settings, and that has just the built-in 4000.

Anyone out there have some ideas for a noob that could help?

Motherboard
CustoMac Mini January 2014
CPU
Intel Core i3-4330 Haswell
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
I installed a new EVGA GT 640 and purchased Borderlands 2 thru steam, it runs perfectly in Win 7 with High settings but in ML 10.8.2, I had to drop quality to low and I'm getting strange tearing and lines. I'm pretty frustrated I've had to put so much effort into a card that is supposed to be supported OOB... I did a fresh install which didn't help, I did figure out that you have to disable hardware acceleration in Safari for Youtube videos. If anyone figures out what we're doing wrong I'll Fedex you a Beer lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.