Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well I have spent two days trying to get my machine upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite with very little luck. I finally got it to boot but before it finishes I get a screen with a circle and slash. I have tried all the suggestions I found here these forums and nothing has worked. I may be forced to go back to my Mavericks backup. My suggestion to any users who use their machines for professional use like I do for video editing is to not do this upgrade at this time and wait till the process is more stable and refined. I have wasted two days so far and am back to square one. My advise is don't do it unless you can do a clean install and have lots of time to waste.

I tried that and many more. Non worked. It should not be this difficult. Installing Mavericks was a breeze compared to this.

Well I have spent two days trying to get my machine upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite with very little luck. I finally got it to boot but before it finishes I get a screen with a circle and slash. I have tried all the suggestions I found here these forums and nothing has worked. I may be forced to go back to my Mavericks backup. My suggestion to any users who use their machines for professional use like I do for video editing is to not do this upgrade at this time and wait till the process is more stable and refined. I have wasted two days so far and am back to square one. My advise is don't do it unless you can do a clean install and have lots of time to waste.

Please add your motherboard to your profile under System - It will help others to help you.

Try booting with -v -x -f

Good Luck

All my mobo info is already in my profile. Ya tried those settings. Way more trouble than it's worth for now. Going back to Mavericks. Keep me informed when it is safe to try this again. Now just a big waste of valuable time imho.

What does adding -f at boot actually do?

-f boots the machine without the kextcache, instead loading kexts into memory. -v would provide you with errors or other info that would help us help you.

I actually had a perfectly-working Yosemite machine that just stopped booting with the circle/slash about 2 days after upgrading. Had to boot from the installer and type these things in the terminal:

touch /Volumes/SSD/System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -update-volume /Volumes/SSD

After that it rebuilt the cache. Then I had to re-run toleda's Clover ALC script to fix sound, rebooted a couple more times just to be sure, and all is well now.

I had some time to kill today so tried some things. Now with the addition of adding -f at boot I can get it to boot to Yosemite. Unfortunately I can't login my iCloud account or the Apple Store now. I have to add -f every time I boot. What can I do to avoid this? Also any ideas on the low login issues?

I had some time to kill today so tried some things. Now with the addition of adding -f at boot I can get it to boot to Yosemite. Unfortunately I can't login my iCloud account or the Apple Store now. I have to add -f every time I boot. What can I do to avoid this? Also any ideas on the low login issues?

Once again, Please add your motherboard to your profile under System - It will help others to help you.

I had the same issue that you are experiencing and booting with -f helped for me.

You can make it 'stick' by adding it to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Code:
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>

Incidentally, today I migrated the build to Clover and it works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back