Contribute
Register

Chrome & spotify freeze & crash problem (R9 380 GPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG crosshair VIII EXTREME
CPU
Ryzen 9 5950X
Graphics
GT 710 (RTX 3090)
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I finally got the hackintosh working quite allright. But I wanted to run 4K@60Hz. So I upgraded my GT710 to a Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB GPU.

However now the system freezes and reboots as soon as I open spotify or chrome. And since they open automatically on login the system freezes and crashes instantly after login.
(I can still login when i switch back to my GT710 GPU)

After some searching it seems it to be a hardware acceleration error. I have disabled it in both applications but no succes. It still crahes.
I do not habe an integrated GPU. (only the 380 and an RTX 3090 for windows)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(ryzentosh with Big Sur)

Last edited:
I assume as you are running a Ryzen system that you are booting with OpenCore.

You don't say which version of macOS you are running, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur?

Are you using an SSDT-Radeon-DeInit.aml table with your R9 380 dGPU? Not using this patch with older dGPU's can cause Black Screen and other unexpected issues.

The SSDT-Radeon-DeInit.aml would need to be customised to work with your R9 380 card, specifically it would need to be edited with the correct ACPI Address for the card.

This screenshot shows the External DeviceObj and Scope used in the standard SSDT-Radeon-DeInit.aml, which would need to be edited to match the IOReg path for your AMD card:

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 20.40.24.png

Open Hackintool app, navigate to the PCIe tab, look for your AMD graphics card, should have 0x6938 as the Device ID. Right-click on the AMD dGPU name and select 'copy the IOReg Path'.

My RX 580 shows the IOReg path as follows in Hackintool:

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0

This would be transformed to the following: (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0) and (\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0) for use in the SSDT.

I have attached a disassembled version of the SSDT, which you can edit in MacaISL. It would need to be saved as an ACPI Machine Language Binary (.aml) before it was used.

Post a copy of your IOReg path if you are not sure how to transform it for use in the SSDT.

Attachments

• SSDT-Radeon_Deinit.dsl.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 88
Thank you for your reply!

I have tried adding your file but it is sadly not yet working. here is a detailed explanation of what I did;

I already spoofed the GPU using this guide.

Here's what I did now;
I installed my older GT710 GPU so I could boot into the 1st slot (which originally had my RTX 3090 in it.) This way the pcie path of the radeon GPU would remain the same. (as it is still inserted in the second slot).
I checked the pcie path in hackintool and added it to your provided SSDT-Radeon_Deinit.dsl. Compiled it and added it to my ACPI folder and config.plist.

See the hackintool info here: (as u can see the spoof from 380 to 380X is working)
Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 10.21.22.png

So the paths I added to the dsl file are:

(_SB_.PCI0.GPP9.GFX1)
(\_SB.PCI0.GPP9.GFX1)

I however noticed that when I check the path in Windows it shows different.
I do not know if this is relevant.

1633070010352.png

As soon as I login to macos it still freezes when using the radeon GPU.
Is it wrong to use both the spoof and your file? Am I doing something else wrong?

For good measure I added my EFI to this post aswell.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 110
Why are you spoofing the device ID for the AMD R9 380 card, it has been natively supported in macOS since Yosemite?

Last edited:
Why are you spoofing the device I’d for the AMD R9 380 card, it has been natively supported in macOS since Yosemite?
oh wow! I READ HERE that I needed to fakeID it but apperiantly that is only for older OSes.

So I removed the spoof.aml and removed the entry from config.plist
It booted! (omg, if only I had tried the first time)
Opened up google chrome, still working! going good...
Opened up spotify....
And it freezes again.

So the GPU works without spoof,
your SSDT-Radeon-DeInit.aml is still added aswell
BUT the problem still persists...

Anything left to try??

Just goes to show that not everything you read is correct, that goes for any site. It is usually someones opinion, or what worked for them with their setup.

So only partial result...

You don't need SSDT-PLUG.aml with your AMD CPU. That SSDT is only for CPU power management with an Intel CPU. Remove it from your setup.

Have you tried uninstalling Spotify, rebooting the system, resetting Nvram and re-installing the app? Are you using the latest version of the app? Would an older version work better with your AMD system?

I just did some more testing and it also freezes when i am not using spotify. Just less quickly.
so spotify is not specifically the problem it seems... I have reset my nvram about 100 times by now hahah

What are you using when it freezes if not running Spotify, Chrome or any other app?

Are there any common processes that can cause the system to freeze?

Nvram needs to be reset/cleaned after any changes to your setup. You can't rest Nvram too many times. If you don't the system can carry on using old settings, boot arguments etc. As long as you are not continuously changing the SMBIOS data in your config it shouldn't hurt to reset/clear Nvram.

Did you remove the SSDT-PLUG.aml from your config and /OC/ACPI folder?

There is a common process which seems to be either spotify or chrome still, that causes the freezes and crashes. And since they automatically reopen (eventhough I set it to not do so in sys prefs) the machiene crashes right away after login. (even after disabling hardware acceleration in both apps)

So here is what I have done since my last post;

- I removed the SSDT-PLUG.aml frommy config and /OC/ACPI folder. and resetNVRAM twice.

- I added an extra path to RadeonDeinit and called in RadeonDeinit2. (this way i have the windows PCIE path and the path shown in MacOS both in the Deinit file.) and resetNVRAM twice.

- I remade the EFI and config.plist from scratch. (without unneccesary spoofs etc.) and resetNVRAM twice.

- I added the RadeonDeinit (1&2) and resetNVRAM twice.

All without any luck sadly :( ...

I am starting to think I am running out of options and am considering settling for the GT710 on low-res which is a bummer :(

If anyone has any idea still, I would love to know!

There is a common process which seems to be either spotify or chrome still, that causes the freezes and crashes. And since they automatically reopen (eventhough I set it to not do so in sys prefs) the machiene crashes right away after login. (even after disabling hardware acceleration in both apps)

So here is what I have done since my last post;

- I removed the SSDT-PLUG.aml frommy config and /OC/ACPI folder. and resetNVRAM twice.

- I added an extra path to RadeonDeinit and called in RadeonDeinit2. (this way i have the windows PCIE path and the path shown in MacOS both in the Deinit file.) and resetNVRAM twice.

- I remade the EFI and config.plist from scratch. (without unneccesary spoofs etc.) and resetNVRAM twice.

- I added the RadeonDeinit (1&2) and resetNVRAM twice.

All without any luck sadly :( ...

I am starting to think I am running out of options and am considering settling for the GT710 on low-res which is a bummer :(

If anyone has any idea still, I would love to know!
If you are using Big Sur you should not need the gt710 or deinit. Clover deinit for Radeon cards was used prior to whatevergreen during Sierra and High Sierra times. WEG and lilu kext are all you should need and maybe device ID properties.

The GT710 may be what is crashing.
Put the 380 in slot one use WEG and Lilu and test. WEG should handle the black screen or it may need a boot arg like rad15, raddvi etc…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back