CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
On my Hackintosh both Chrome and Edge are randomly quitting. I have never seen them crash. It always happens when I'm away. I have disabled hardware acceleration in every instance as per various discussions. The Chrome crashing thing is a well discussed topic outside the Hack community, and the hardware accel setting seems to be the only mitigation. I started with a totally clean Edge and Chrome install, and both still crash. I removed all plugins other than Lastpass. This is NOT happening at all on my work Macbook Pro's. I have all Power Save settings disabled with the exception of screen saver/power down.

Anyone else?

Just posted to Chrome support forum:

Given that both Chrome and Edge Chromium randomly quit on me all the time I'd say that this is either a fundamental issue with Catalina or with the Chromium code base. Perhaps Google is having trouble adapting to the new Catalina sandboxing and lockdown.

Random notes:

chown -R profile has no effect for me
removing extensions has no effect
disabling GPU accel has no effect
deleting profile and apps and starting fresh has no effect
the umask seems very restrictive in Catalina (most things are permission 600 or 700)
the acl for a lot of the profile is com.apple.quarantine (same for Firefox)... maybe a clue or not?

I have none of the crashing issues on the same versions of Chrome and Catalina on my work Macbook Pro's, so this problem could be buried deep in the weeds of hardware compatibility

there definitely does seem to be a pattern of write failures, supporting the theory that Google has not adapted to the tighter restrictions in Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back