RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
An old problem has reappeared which was solved by suggestions in these Forums, but I can't recall what the solution was and can't locate my old posts about it. I've been successfully using Clover 4586 for several months now; then I attempted to update to 4699, which didn't work for me at all, so I re-trenched back to 4586. Unfortunately, that process brought back my old problem which is: my default OS is Mac High Sierra but if I choose to boot into Windows EFI at the Clover entries window, say for a one-time session, the boot options order is changed in my PC's UEFI itself. Consequently, all subsequent reboots (whether cold boots or just restarts) go directly into Windows using Windows Boot Manager, and not Clover. If I again edit boot order in UEFI back to Clover as top choice, and then just let it boot into Mac, my next startup will be fine and will again load Clover then Mac. But the next time I choose Windows in the Clover boot entries display, the cycle repeats and I'll be stuck going directly into Windows at each reboot. I know I finally fixed this with someone's help here a few months ago but I can't recall what the procedure was.

but I can't recall what the solution was and can't locate my old posts about it.

Click where indicated :

Profile.png

LOL thank you, I've got to learn to navigate this site better. Unfortunately, while that did help me locate my old post on the topic, I see there's no solution in the replies. I probably stumbled onto something somewhere else. This time around I'll hope someone reads this thread and suggests a fix that will become part of my message archive for posterity... and for me :)

LOL thank you, I've got to learn to navigate this site better. Unfortunately, while that did help me locate my old post on the topic, I see there's no solution in the replies. I probably stumbled onto something somewhere else. This time around I'll hope someone reads this thread and suggests a fix that will become part of my message archive for posterity... and for me :)
did you rename the boot manager file \EFI\Microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi ?
To prevent Windows from re-ordering the boot path in UEFI you should not use this file to boot Win10, so rename it - see the dual boot guides pinned at the start of the dual booting forum
See post #3 https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/

Thank you! On YouTube I saw a similar suggestion, but it involved the EFI folder that's actually on my Windows drive, and not the one on my Mac drive. The suggestion in that video was to use a Windows command prompt to mount Window's EFI folder and then to use Windows Task Manager to rename bootmgfw.efi as bootmgfw-orig.efi. Finally, it said to to copy the CLOVERx64.efi file, from the \EFI\Clover folder, into the \Microsoft\boot folder and then to rename it as bootmgfw.efi.... effectively replacing the original file with the clover file. Any thoughts?

Thank you! On YouTube I saw a similar suggestion, but it involved the EFI folder that's actually on my Windows drive, and not the one on my Mac drive. The suggestion in that video was to use a Windows command prompt to mount Window's EFI folder and then to use Windows Task Manager to rename bootmgfw.efi as bootmgfw-orig.efi. Finally, it said to to copy the CLOVERx64.efi file, from the \EFI\Clover folder, into the \Microsoft\boot folder and then to rename it as bootmgfw.efi.... effectively replacing the original file with the clover file. Any thoughts?
If you are on separate drives this is the easiest way to do it, but I would just mount the Win10 EFI from Mac OS and edit the file with text editor. It also allows you to directly copy the renamed Clover file directly to the Win10 EFI without booting Win10.

If you are on separate drives this is the easiest way to do it, but I would just mount the Win10 EFI from Mac OS and edit the file with text editor. It also allows you to directly copy the renamed Clover file directly to the Win10 EFI without booting Win10.
All was good until I recently updated Windows 10 to version 1903 (one of the "Features Updates" Microsoft releases once or twice a year). Ever since that update, my original problem has resurfaced, although I hadn't changed anything in my EFI volume. I tried repeating the same steps as above with the Cloverx64.efi file copy/rename, but no success this time. Every time I boot into Windows, my UEFI boot order switches to put Windows Boot Manager as top priority over my Clover volume and I have to reset the order to get back to the Clover boot. Any new ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back