Contribute
Register

Choosing the right color profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like few of your profiles were messed up, but what's more interesting - few of which came with the OS/Installer/Adobe stuff. How exactly did you install those that were uploaded by me? 'Cause I can see them showing in /Library, not in ~/Library...
Still, that's pretty irrelevant.

in finder menu
go
computer
ml volume/partition
library folder

then drag n drop aka copy paste, put in the authenticate to allow it

isnt it how you did yours too?

whats difference between /library and ~/library?

in finder menu
go
computer
ml volume/partition
library folder

then drag n drop aka copy paste, put in the authenticate to allow it

isnt it how you did yours too?

whats difference between /library and ~/library?

In UNIX, ~ stays for your user folder - in linux it's /home/your_username and in OSX it's /Users/your_username.
It's basically safer to install such stuff into your user's library (i.e. ~/Library), installing it into root's library (i.e. /Library) makes them available system-wide (for all users). It's not that important but it's how it's recommended, I guess.

Open up Terminal and enter this command:
chflags nohidden ~/Library
Now in your user folder in Finder (you can add it to the sidebar favourites in finder preferences) you will see and will be able to access the Library folder. It's highly useful because not only most of the programs you have installed have their preferences files in there (~/Library/Application Support or ~/Library/Preferences - do not mess with it if you don't know what you're doing, though:idea:) but also, in case of uninstalling programs, they tend to leave lots of unnecessary crap in there.

Yup, hands down best one for our Samsung displays - at least in my opinion​, yours may vary :) Blacks are blacks, greys are greys, there's no green tint all over it (like it was with HP ProBook 4530s profile). Huge improvement. Spyder4Express is less warm than 6500k mba, whites are more natural - but it's up to you which one you'll choose.

Also, didn't point it before - if you're using Flux - close it before testing :)

Looks like few of your profiles were messed up, but what's more interesting - few of which came with the OS/Installer/Adobe stuff. How exactly did you install those that were uploaded by me? 'Cause I can see them showing in /Library, not in ~/Library...
Still, that's pretty irrelevant.

I'm testing them but I reallly don't know which one is better for me.. Can you help me in some way, please?

Thanks!

I'm testing them but I reallly don't know which one is better for me.. Can you help me in some way, please?

Thanks!

It's up to you. Choose the one that fits you best.
I kind of settled down on "Spyder4Express" although I still see the room for improvement. Whites are a bit too warm for me and colors are a bit washed out (comparing to "HP ProBook 4530s" profile) but I do realise that matte screens have generally lower contrast than glossy ones... I'm in the exams period right now so I can't spend as much time tinkering with this as I'd like to, but I'll definitely keep on looking for the best solution available. I'm gonna try SuperCal and calibrate my display, that's for sure... We'll see.

It's up to you. Choose the one that fits you best.
I kind of settled down on "Spyder4Express" although I still see the room for improvement. Whites are a bit too warm for me and colors are a bit washed out (comparing to "HP ProBook 4530s" profile) but I do realise that matte screens have generally lower contrast than glossy ones... I'm in the exams period right now so I can't spend as much time tinkering with this as I'd like to, but I'll definitely keep on looking for the best solution available. I'm gonna try SuperCal and calibrate my display, that's for sure... We'll see.

I'm going for the Spyder4Express for now (not too cold and not too warm).
BTW, please, keep me informed if you reach better results.

Thanks!

I'm going for the Spyder4Express for now (not too cold and not too warm).
BTW, please, keep me informed if you reach better results.

Thanks!

went over the profiles again, and this time i used the red photobooth icon in the dock to compare with the other dock icons colors. have to say for the probook 4x30s profile still looks best overall.

tried that code string on a 4340s probook. doesnt work, no output. just a blank new line. is it 4x30s specific?

Decided to stop cluttering the Installer 6.1 thread so I made a new one.

People who have done this - please post your display model - you can obtain it with this command:

Code:
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

and the prefered color profile so that we could make a list. Thanks!

Also, if none of these in the pack looks good for you - post your display model anyway. If one of the ones already included in the Installer looks best - specify which one is it!

And by the way - I thought before this whole thing is rather irrelevant - until I saw the difference between the ones included in the Installer and some of those that people have made and posted online... Of course, "your mileage may vary"! :)

SAMSUNG 156AT05-307:
6500k mba (warmer)
mba 280 (colder)
Spyder4Express (personal fav)

AU Optronics B156XW02 V2:
Air - Calibrated - AC15

AU Optronics
B121EW09 V3:
Default one

Yeah sorry I didn't notice it before. I found that particular command here http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-...lay-in-a-macbook-air-and-make-it-look-better/ which is a general how-to for Macbooks. Nothing specific, since it works for 4x30s... If it doesn't with your 4x40s though, have a go with ioreg -lw0 and search through the output.

thanks. tried it again, this is on 10.8.4 and still nothing.

if i remove strings or bits of the line, i get some wierd looking code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back