CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone! I'm almost ready to buy the components of my new customac, but i really don't know which amd gpu choose because i never had one.
A friend of mine (a gamer, perhaps) suggested me to buy a nvidia gtx 1660 but i've read the post about nvidia support, and so... I really don't know which amd alternative should I pick.
The nvidia 1660 costs about 250€, I wouldn't spend more money. Any suggestion?
Thanks!

P.S. for now, I'm ready to buy a motherboard Asus PRIME Z390-P, a cpu intel i5-9600k and two ram modules Corsair Vengeance LPX x8gb @ 3200MHz.

EDIT: I could buy an amd RX 590 or 580, but I've read somewhere that using the HDMI port instead of Display port results in a black screen. My smart tv has only HDMI ports, so could have troubles?

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm almost ready to buy the components of my new customac, but i really don't know which amd gpu choose because i never had one.
A friend of mine (a gamer, perhaps) suggested me to buy a nvidia gtx 1660 but i've read the post about nvidia support, and so... I really don't know which amd alternative should I pick.
The nvidia 1660 costs about 250€, I wouldn't spend more money. Any suggestion?
Thanks!

P.S. for now, I'm ready to buy a motherboard Asus PRIME Z390-P, a cpu intel i5-9600k and two ram modules Corsair Vengeance LPX x8gb @ 3200MHz.

AMD card in that performance range is the RX 580 or 590.
If you can wait for the Navi 14 cards rumored to launch next week at $150-200 US we will be testing these when they come out.
Avoid XFX brand for the RX cards, some of them work but some don’t because of a vbios issue.

If you can wait for the Navi 14 cards rumored to launch next week at $150-200 US we will be testing these when they come out.
Probably i could wait, but I can absolutely tell you that I'm a "disaster guy". I still don't understand how I've made my customac working well at the second attempt, and I've tweaked only with the audio part. I've just finished to read the post about framebuffer patching with whatevergreen and lilu... And now I'm suffering some headache ^__^

Probably i could wait, but I can absolutely tell you that I'm a "disaster guy". I still don't understand how I've made my customac working well at the second attempt, and I've tweaked only with the audio part. I've just finished to read the post about framebuffer patching with whatevergreen and lilu... And now I'm suffering some headache ^__^

Not to worry with the AMD cards they usually don’t need any patching unless you need more then two monitors.

So, is it possible to use the HDMI out of the video card instead of the display port?

Not to worry with the AMD cards they usually don’t need any patching unless you need more then two monitors.
I can vouch for that. I moved my 4GB MSI RX560 to my wife's Mojave Hack (using HDMI) and replaced it in my Catalina Hack with a new 4GB Asrock RX5500 XT (driving a 4k Acer monitor over Displayport). The only thing I had to do to make either work in my 10.5.2 system is enter the boot flag "agdpmod=pikera" (Supposedly, this is no longer necessary with Whatevergreen V1.3.4 but I have yet to test this).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back