Contribute
Register

Choosing a Compatible NVMe SSD for your macOS Boot Drive

I think that should I use 1tb storage m I correct?
Yes, the WD 1TB NVMe has much faster write speeds. Over 2800 MB/s on average. Larger SSDs from the same SSD model/family are faster when writing data because they use more channels in paralell.

Smaller size drives always give you lower write speed numbers. Have a look at the SN770 chart. See how much the write speed suffers going from 1TB down to 250 GB ? Huge drop off of 2900 MB/s. The 1TB versions go for $52 on Amazon so I don't know any good reason to go with a 250 GB size.
Screen Shot 28.jpg

Happens with Sata SSDs as well.

Last edited:
The very best price/performance for a Gen 3 or Gen 4 motherboard is still the 1TB SN770 from WD. It sells for $51 on Amazon now and will outperform the SN570 on either gen motherboard. Much more so on a Gen 4.

Retailers market it as a "gaming SSD" but imo it's a waste to use it for storing games, just so they load up a few seconds faster. Use it as a macOS boot drive. You won't break the bank to get a spacious 1TB drive that will last many years used as a hackintosh boot drive.

I used wd Blue 250GB NVMe PCIe SSD but I couldn't get actual write speed
do you have any idea? what did I wrong? I think that should I use 1tb storage m I correct?
View attachment 567520
it is also claim for 1tb write speed 1200MBs why not get my ssd write speed 2923MBs like your SSD
View attachment 567521

Yes. Write speed varies based on capacity. 250 / 500 / 1TB

wd ssd speed.png

Hi there,
Do I need NVMEFix if I use compatible and Apple friendly WD Blue SN570?

Do I need NVMEFix if I use compatible and Apple friendly WD Blue SN570?
I don't use it with mine and it works just fine.

Yes. Write speed varies based on capacity. 250 / 500 / 1TB

View attachment 567606
Many NVMe USB 4.0 Thunderbolt 4/3 enclosure like Acasis NVMe enclosure 40Gbps support Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD.

My sample question is that can I boot fast as a external NVMe enclosure with Samsung 980 Pro SSD?
I ask because Samsung 980 Pro read&write speed is fast with Acasis NVMe enclosure 40Gbps.
It is recommended Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD by seller.

Acasis nvme enclosure 40gbps support Samsung 980 pro NVME SSD
There's no NVMe that gives you faster than about 2,800 MB/s read/write speeds in that Acasis enclosure. So there's no advantage to spending more and buying a 980 Pro for it. You also don't want to boot macOS from Samsung drives externally or internally. TRIM problems and slow boot times will still plague your experience.

There's no NVMe that gives you faster than about 2,800 MB/s read/write speeds in that Acasis enclosure. So there's no advantage to spending more and buying a 980 Pro for it. You also don't want to boot macOS from Samsung drives externally or internally. TRIM problems and slow boot times will still plague your experience.
What you say about samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb with nvme enclosure

Is Boot performance good in this ssd or not? On external drive

What you say about samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb with nvme enclosure
970 Evo Plus in its earlier firmware iterations used to cause kernel panics in macOS (source: me, first hand, and others). You need to make sure its firmware is updated. Personally I sent it back…

Anyway the 970 Evo Plus is old school, I’d rather get a WD as they works well or, maybe, a Kingston Fury Renegade: yes, it’s gen 4 so (partially) wasted performance, but it’s also true that its price dropped a lot and has a much higher TBW rating - why not? I own a Kingston Fury Renegade and it’s so good I’d get another one :)

What you say about samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb
I don't think you read post #1. If you had, you wouldn't ask this question.

1. Avoid Samsung NVMe drives

Prior to macOS Monterey, Samsung drives worked seemingly without issue. We don't know what changed in macOS 12 but we do know that Samsung's proprietary NVMe SSD controllers do not work well with macOS Monterey or Ventura. It doesn't look like a firmware fix from Samsung is ever going to be released. Here's a few examples of their drives that will potentially lead to ultra long macOS boot times. Some have reported six to seven minutes.

1687099971913.png

Last edited:
Back