Contribute
Register

Chimera text-spinner suddenly hangs (at about '|' or '/') with presence of internal time machine dri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add me to the people experiencing this problem. I recently added a Western Digital My Book Studio USB drive (for a TM drive) and immediately saw the lockup the next time I rebooted my machine. (Of course the reboot was several days later, and it took me a long night to associate the lockup with the new drive.) In poking around there are posts back to 2010 reporting this issue. In the Chameleon project Bug Report I found http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,310.msg3592.html#msg3592 which devolved into two separate bugs. The one dealing with bad partitions starting at Reply 8 is (I believe) the issue we are also dealing with.

Same problem here. Just started happening about 3 days ago. Machine boots fine if I remove the time machine drive but fails otherwise. I am more than happy to try to supply troubleshooting information if someone can tell me what they need and how to get it.

The Chameleon key to use single drive is working as a work around for now.

Unplugging my internal Time Machine disk fixed the issue for me. Thanks!

Plus one for this problem. Unplugging my 3TB TM drive works but is a pain. I've not tried reformatting - is that a permanent fix, or will it run into the same problem once it fills up again?

And with the single disk option, would I lose the ability to use the carbon copy cloner duplicate of my 128GB system drive in the event of emergency?

I am having the same issue.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...fusion-drive-blinking-_-after-boot0-done.html

I have tried to change the partition format (Apple, MBR) of the Time Machine Drive. I installed a Ubuntu on it also, after having this issue.

Scan single drive.. will it work if I have a fusion drive set up? Too scared to try it.

I hope Chimera can fix this so I don't have to try and destroy my hackintosh.

I just want to update my situation. I have 2tb time machine backup disk. It runs normally until someday Chimera hung. I transfer my time machine disk data to a new 2tb disk. Then it works fine for a while. The Chimera hangs recently again. I try add the following to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. Now chimera can boot again. It seems the chimera can scan the empty 2tb disk without problem until the disk reach certain amour of data. Hope all of you can fix the problem.

<key>Scan Single Drive</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I just want to update my situation. I have 2tb time machine backup disk. It runs normally until someday Chimera hung. I transfer my time machine disk data to a new 2tb disk. Then it works fine for a while. The Chimera hangs recently again. I try add the following to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. Now chimera can boot again. It seems the chimera can scan the empty 2tb disk without problem until the disk reach certain amour of data. Hope all of you can fix the problem.

<key>Scan Single Drive</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Thank you. I think it is clear that the problem is due to a bad drive... I have literally 7 disks including 2 SSDs in my rig, and I wasn't sure which one is going bad. This trick did it for me, so I could at least get into my Mavericks install... now have to scan for the bad drive.

Anyone have any tips on finding which drive is bad in the lot? All drives seem to work in both Windows 8.1 and Linux mint. Some are NTFS, some are HFS+ and 1 is EXT4.

thanks
Kiran

Same gig here....I had 3TB Seagate drive running in system for over a year. Then CleanMyMac removed some large file and Chimera locks at rolling back slash.

Removed SATA cable and all good. After in Mavericks hot plug and can get to all data.

Performed every repair and verify and all good.

my text spinner also hangs
booting mountain lion from USB hdd 230gb
and internal hard disk 500 gb segate latest version of chimera
tried deleting dsdt
my config
i 3 540 3.06 GHz
6 GB ram
gt 210 (fully supported by mac)
And i have installed all the kext files
and USB version of chameleon shows system halted help pls !!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back