Contribute
Register

Chimera text-spinner suddenly hangs (at about '|' or '/') with presence of internal time machine dri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can confirm the same issue on my P67A machine. Everything works fine unless I connect my 1.5TB internal HDD, in which case Chimera doesn't load, just shows a vertical bar (|). Wiping the MBR doesn't solve the issue (not trying repartitioning; I need the data on that drive).

I can confirm that ScanSingleDrive=Yes fixes the issue for me. I'll be using that for now - I only need Chimera for that one drive.

I just want to report the same situation here with the newest chimera bootloader. I have 256g samsung ssd pro as boot up drive in X58 machine with 10.8.2. I use a 2tb seagate internal harddrive as timemachine. The timemachie works great for a period of time about several months. Suddently, the chimera text-spinner hangs and refuse to boot the machine. I am trying to use the unibeast usb drive to boot the machine, same result. I unplug the 2tb harddrive, the machine boots fine. This confuses me a lot. I first thought the drive is dying. I bought another brand 2TB harddrive, the machine boots fine. I then connect the problem 2TB harddrive to another X58 machine, it produce the same problem. If I disconnect the problem harddrive and let the machine finish the booting, I can hotplug the problem harddrive to the machine and the harddrive works normally. I can also normally boot the machine with windows 8 hardddrive as the first boot drive with the problem 2tb harddrive connected. So I guess there is some bugs in Chimera boot loader.

Same issue. After boot:0 done, hangs at \

Same temporary fix: removal of offending Time Machine drive.

Yes, I've had the drive installed and working fine for several months. It's a 1TB Seagate.

I'm about to attempt the ScanSingleDrive=Yes fix to see if that "permanently" fixes the issue.

Does anyone happen to know how we might get MacMan to re-open the issue?

EDIT: ScanSingleDrive=Yes did NOT fix the problem. I guess I'm going to try reformatting the drive next. Frustrating to say the least.

I can reproduce the same problem, also with latest Chimera 2.1.1.

EDIT: ScanSingleDrive=Yes did NOT fix the problem. I guess I'm going to try reformatting the drive next. Frustrating to say the least.

Its "Scan Single Drive" (with the white-spaces). key/value Scan Single Drive = yes fixes the problem.

I too am having the same issue. Chimera freezes at the "/" character. In my situation, however, I am attempting to use the Time Machine disk (2tb Samson Eco) from my Mac Pro. The Hackintosh I am trying to get it to work with is a recent build that did not previously have a TM setup.

If anyone can walk me through the steps on generating any debugging info such as the data in the previous posts I will do that if it would be helpful.

I'd also appreciate it if any one could explain this "Single Scan Drive=Yes" fix to me and how to set that up. I do have a Windows 8 boot disk on a separate drive though - will this hack mean I could no longer boot into that, or any of my other bootable partitions on my rescue disk?

I too am having this issue.
I've just bought a 1tb Samsung drive, partitioned one part for the music projects I work on as my external drive is packing in, and partitioned the other half as a clone of a windows 7 drive that I plan on wiping and using somewhere else.

I get the same issue, I hang on "/" on its first pass. The drive is plugged into the same sata port as the old windows 7 drive and causes the hang. However, if I plug the old windows drive back in, it boots! Though this is still an issue as I am using 2.5" drives and don't have a bay to accommodate 3 drives! Plus, I want to wipe the old windows drive for other uses. This is a real pain in the backside!
I'd love to make a debug file for you guys before I rerun clonezilla to hopefully solve the issue.

I'm having the exact same thing happen in my system, but with one wrinkle - no Time Machine involved, just an additional 2TB HDD that I use for document/media storage. I use it with both my ML and Win8 installs (on separate SSDs). Everything was working great with booting to both and accessing the drive from both. Then yesterday I get the hung text-spinner (mine seems to like '-') and can't boot from either Chimera HDD or Unibeast USB. If I unplug the 2TB storage drive, boots just fine.

I also found that if I unplug the drive, boot to Chimera, then plug it back in, everything works fine. Not the most convenient approach, but it gets me to a point where I can work on the problem at least.

Other findings - did a disc scan/repair in both Win8 and ML, nothing found, no changes. If I go to MB boot selection, I can boot to Win8 just fine. I was using about 200GB of the 2TB drive when things went south.

My next steps - Backing up my storage drive to external, trying a repartition, then moving things back slowly to see if there is a trigger point at which this seems to happen.

Maybe this will eventually reach critical mass and trigger a bug fix...

Add me.

Chimera 2.1.1, Internal 2TB Seagate HDD used for Time Machine , drive had been operational for 18 months and never caused any trouble. The problem occurred after Time Machine had to throw away older stuff to free some space. On the next boot the hack hang on the "/" no matter which bootable drive I tried (USB-key, external HDD, internal HDD, all Chimera 2.1.1).

This bug has cost me half of my saturday and I'd like to thank dkulchenko for pointing me in the right direction.

I've posted about this issue numerous times myself. Every time there is an update to OS X I run into this problem. I just upgraded from 10.8.4 to 10.8.5 and just like clockwork booting freezes unless I disconnect my external Time Machine drive. Once OS X boots up I can then turn on my Time Machine drive and it will backup and restore just fine.

Currently there appears to only be two work arounds:
1) Set single scan drive in org.chameleon.Boot.plist
2) Reformat the Time Machine drive

I can easily deal with option #1 but for some folks with dual booting this would not work. Option #2 really sucks as you will lose all your backed up data. I really wish this problem would be recognized by the geniuses here and give us an explanation as to why this keeps happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back