Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Valued community,

For compatibility reasons of my hardware, I’ve been running 10.6.8, dual boot with Win7 on a separate drive, and Chimera 1.7 without problems, until yesterday.
Was going to migrate the Mac system to a bigger drive, thus re-installed the system on the new HD using iBoot & Multibeast 3.10.1., with all it’s settings just like I had them before.
After system restart, when booting from the OSX HD, the Chimera screen doesn't even come on, but instead I'm getting this:

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: GPT
boot0: error

When starting it up via iBoot CD, though, I do get a proper menu and am able to load the system.

For the OSX system, I’m using a WD 10EZEX Blue HD, 1TB in 3 partitions, first SATA slot on the mainboard (Gigabyte GA P55a UD3). Could it be that the HD is not compatible?

All other things being equal, I’ve been running the exact same system on an old Excelstar HD, and everything was working fine - with the drive being way too small for today’s standards, I was going to upgrade and migrate the system to a bigger one (plus, the old one is giving me more and more r/w errors lately). Now I’m stuck…

BTW: is there a more efficient way to migrate a Hackintosh system to another drive? I tried to recover it from a Time Machine backup right at the point where you partition your HD after haviong booted from the SnowLeo DVD for the first time - but it wouldn't let me and told me to use the migration assistant after completion of the regular install... =(

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!!

Please read this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

This is a known problem that we live with.

As far as moving your system from one drive to another, I suggest SuperDuper!.app (shareware that is free to use) to clone one system partition to another (the target partition needs to contain enough space to hold the source).

Good modding,
neil

You can use super duper or carbon copy clone to basically copy you drive for you or you can do it my favorite method of using terminal and running the asr command which is the same thing those two do it's just not as user friendly if you plan on going that route I suggest you read up on it

Thanks for the hints, guys. Obviously, when I set up my system last time, I got spared the boot0 issue since I used an older HD. Live and learn...

Some questions, though:
- how would I unmount the drive in Disk Utility exactly? It only gives me options such as "First Aid", "Erase", "Partition" and "Recover". And I do want to unmount the whole HD, not just the system partiton? Also, in "of=/dev/disk0s2", disk0s2 means SATA0? not something like "disk0 at SATA2", meaning it could be a typo?
I'm just asking because of the many comments by folks for whom this method didn't work.

- So the Boot0-Error Guide mentions using Unibeast when starting the install - but as far as I know, this doesn't work for SL / 10.6.8? Did various searches but couldn't find anything re. SL install with Unibeast. Would I get the same results for an install with iBoot and original SL DVD, just like the official SL install guide says? Probably the important thing is just the unmount drive / terminal command thing...?

- Lastly, would I be able to bypass the trouble altogether if I just cloned the system partition on my old drive to the one on my new HD? My guess would be "no" but I'll just ask anyway ;-P

Thanks again!!

Thanks for the hints, guys. Obviously, when I set up my system last time, I got spared the boot0 issue since I used an older HD. Live and learn...

Some questions, though:
- how would I unmount the drive in Disk Utility exactly? It only gives me options such as "First Aid", "Erase", "Partition" and "Recover". And I do want to unmount the whole HD, not just the system partiton? Also, in "of=/dev/disk0s2", disk0s2 means SATA0? not something like "disk0 at SATA2", meaning it could be a typo?
I'm just asking because of the many comments by folks for whom this method didn't work.

- So the Boot0-Error Guide mentions using Unibeast when starting the install - but as far as I know, this doesn't work for SL / 10.6.8? Did various searches but couldn't find anything re. SL install with Unibeast. Would I get the same results for an install with iBoot and original SL DVD, just like the official SL install guide says? Probably the important thing is just the unmount drive / terminal command thing...?

- Lastly, would I be able to bypass the trouble altogether if I just cloned the system partition on my old drive to the one on my new HD? My guess would be "no" but I'll just ask anyway ;-P

Thanks again!!
So disk0s2 means the hard drive on SATA0 slot partition 2
Yes if you reinstalled with snow leopard and iboot dvd you will still have this problem the reason you didn't find anything about this problem and snow leopard is because not to many people still running snow leopard have these advance sector format drives since they did exist when snow leopard was current most folks have migrated away from snow leopard
The boot0 guide does work for snow leopard i can confirm this
So to unmount the drive do this
select your partition like this
diskutil demo copy.png
Then hit the unmount button like this
diskutil d copy.png
And that should unmount the drive and this all needs to be done through the disk utility on the unibeast installer

And as far as I know you would still have this problem if you cloned the drive to the new since the new drive has the advance format sectors of 4k

carpentryplus25,
thanks for the clarification! being German, I didn't find the "unmount" button before, due to the language barrier :mrgreen: - but now all is working fine.

took me a while to figure out the correct command line re. "boot1h" - for those not familiar with the terminal (like me), the "boot0 Guide" should contain a more thorough explanation of how those commands actually work. E.g. in my configuration, my RAID array takes up SATA slot0 (although it's displayed at the very last position in the Chimera boot menu), thus my volume's identifier was "disk1s2" instead of "disk0s2". Also, I couldn't seem to access the "boot1h" file from my SL DVD (at least that's what I think the command line should be doing, maybe I typed it wrong for my configuration, but oh well), so I had to download it elsewhere.

Anyway, all good now.
Thanks again!!

carpentryplus25,
thanks for the clarification! being German, I didn't find the "unmount" button before, due to the language barrier :mrgreen: - but now all is working fine.

took me a while to figure out the correct command line re. "boot1h" - for those not familiar with the terminal (like me), the "boot0 Guide" should contain a more thorough explanation of how those commands actually work. E.g. in my configuration, my RAID array takes up SATA slot0 (although it's displayed at the very last position in the Chimera boot menu), thus my volume's identifier was "disk1s2" instead of "disk0s2". Also, I couldn't seem to access the "boot1h" file from my SL DVD (at least that's what I think the command line should be doing, maybe I typed it wrong for my configuration, but oh well), so I had to download it elsewhere.

Anyway, all good now.
Thanks again!!
yes in the guide it says the required is unibeast installer drive that's why it wasn't on your dvd the command calls for something on a unibeast drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back