GeForce GTX 250
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

Installed Lion 10.7.2 successfully using Chameleon on an external 500G USB drive.

Run MultiBeast 4.0.3 and install only Chimera on that external drive.

Upon reboot, the system gets to the POST screen and hangs. If I remove the usb drive and reboot into another OS on another drive, everything is fine.

If I reformat the drive, re install Lion and everything is fine again. But as soon as I install Chimera it dies.

Very odd.....I have no idea why Chimera would cause my whole system to hang. From what I can see, it messes up the USB ports as my keyboard doesn't work when the USB drive with Chimera is connected.

I have read over and it seems like a few other people and having similar problems.

Maybe Chimera is not playing nice with an external USB drive? Or usb in general on some systems.

Equipment:

Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
g.Skill 8GB Ripjaws RAM
GTS 250 video card
Core i7 860
Various hard drives
Nexstar CX USB/eSata external case with WD 500GB blue HD

MacMan said:
Are you using a DSDT?

The first time I tried this I used a DSDT for my motherboard downloaded from here. I combined the user DSDT and Chimera from EasyBeast in one step.

I thought maybe the DSDT was causing the system hang (although I still couldn't figure out why is would hang the system at the POST screen.)

So the next time I tried, I did not use a DSDT. And the still got the same result. The system hangs at the POST screen with no USB working.

Lion installs and runs (although without full functionality of everything) without a DSDT and using Chameleon.

I also have Snow Leopard drive that works fine with a DSDT on the same machine.

The only real difference between the SL and Lion drives is one is internal on a SATA port and the other is on the external USB drive.

I'll maybe try the Lion install as an internal drive and see what happens when adding Chimera.

I have the same problem, at boot time chimera hangs at the spinning bar before it gets to the OS boot screen. After system reset once it boots up fine without hanging. I updated Multibeast to 4.0.3 and Chimera to 1.6 but no change. I'm running the latest version of the DSDT file a well. Any suggestions on what to try would be great. Thanks :banghead:

I have a very similar issue (i think), where running the chimera boot loader messes up my USB keyboard during POST (cannot enter BIOS or change boot device) the next times I boot (the keyboard will only start working if i clear my CMOS..) Once the CMOS is reset, I can reboot, turn off and on, boot a linux live dvd, etc. and the keyboard will always work during booting (DEL, F12), until the first time I run Chimera.

This happens with Chimera on the external UniBeast USB-drive, but at least that boots my system. The chimera installed onto the internal HDD just hangs when the BIOS wants to load it ("Loading Operating System..."). This is probably a different issue though.

The real question is: how can the problem survive a hard reboot? And is there a different versions of Chamaeleon that I should try? Any other boot loaders? :)

Cheers

Has anyone stumbled upon a solution for this yet? There seem to be a variety of threads with similar problems.

Any news on that one? Got the same issue after a trial install of 10.7 on my USB HDD. Once Multibeast ran through the system doesnt go further than the Gigabyte Splashscreen. USB drive doesnt stop spinning.... Once its unplugged I can boot into my regular system again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back