1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have encountered some issues that I believe might be Chimera related although I could well be incorrect in that belief. Here is what is happening, I have a GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard with an i3-2105 processor installed and I am attempting to utilize the HD 3000 graphics capability, system also consists of a wired Apple keyboard and mouse.

Issue 1 - I installed Lion 10.7.3 on the reference system and after the install I ran MultiBeast selecting only the Network drivers, rebooted via the 10.7.3 usb and then I then installed the 10.7.4 update along with a few other updates (iTunes, etc...). After completing that and rebooting again back into the newly installed 10.7.4 via the 10.7.3 usb stick I then ran MultiBeast 4.6.1 and performed the nominal updates UserDSDT without a DSDT.aml, fix permissions, etc... After reboot I had a “working” Lion 10.7.4 system but it didn’t support 1080i or 1080p (I was connected to my monitor via the HDMI port), attempting to select either one of them resulted in what appeared to be some sort of interlace issue with 2 or 3 screen images, basically a mess. After having played around with this and installing Lion a couple times I finally tried replacing the HDMI with a DVI and suddenly my monitor worked and I could run 1920x1080 without issue. I could also install Chimera 1.11.0 vs 1.10.x and the system profiler properly reported that I had HD3000 graphics 512mb of video ram using either Chimera. This could well be a driver issue or some interaction with the mobo resulting in this behavior, I really don’t know but I put it out there for someone more knowledgable than I to comment on.

Issue 2 - Using the identical reference system when I install Mtn Lion 10.8.0 the system profiler reports that the graphics type is “GPU” with 64MB of video ram but no mention of the HD3000 graphics (see below).

Display:

Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0112
Revision ID: 0x0009
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

If I use an HDMI cable to interface to my monitor the system will hang during the boot process complaining about the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB did not load (see below).

OSMetaClass: kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB class HDCPCtrl is a duplicate; kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelFramebufferCapri already has a class by that name
Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB start failed (result 0xdc00400a)
Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB failed to load (0xdc008017)
Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSNBFB (0xdc008017)

The only way to get the system to boot is to set GraphicsEnabler=No then the system will boot just fine. If I then remove the HDMI cable and install a DVI cable the system continues to boot just fine and when I set GraphicsEnabler=Yes it still boots just fine, however the system profiler still reports the same info as above except I believe the device id becomes 0x0126 if memory serves me. (BTW, I have another system that is identical to this one except the CPU is an i5-2405S that does exactly the same thing.) Again this could be the result of changes in the graphics drivers associated with the step to MtnLion or some sort of injection issue I just don’t know so again I put it out there for comment.

The RAM setting on Z77 Boards must be set low- like 32/64 in my own testing. OS X will recognize hD 3000 as device id 0126 if you use GraphicsEnabler=Yes in Chimera. You can't run natively, you must inject a valid device id.

512 is what OS X will show, and that is correct.

Tonymacx86, thanks for the reply!!

I've continued working on this issue and I must say this is too weird, or am I hallucinating? To recap...

UEFI was setup IAW Tonymacx86 Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

I had been pretty much randomly playing around and ended up booting with -v -x at this point the ML install recognized the Intel HD 3000 graphics, however the shared memory was 64MB and the display was not recognized (see below)

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Device ID: 0x0126
Displays:
Display:

I began playing around with the UEFI settings and at one point had set the video ram to 512MB, after no success I returned the setting to 64MB and also enabled Intel Virtualization Technology. To my surprise after rebooting the display was recognized and there was 512MB of shared VRAM (see below)

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Device ID: 0x0126
Displays:
Acer S232HL:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: LQY080094201
Rotation: Supported

At this point my heart was all aflutter but upon a restart we were back to no display recognition and 64MB VRAM. After sleeping on this I resumed my mis-directed attack on the problem. At this point I installed Chimera 1.11.0 r1394 replacing the 1.10.0 flavor that I had been using up to this point. And once again upon reboot we ended up with the display recognized and 512MB of VRAM. Alas on a restart I was once again back at the dreaded no display and 64MB VRAM condition. So once again I installed Chimera 1.11.0 on top of itself and after a restart bingo back at 512MB VRAM and the display recognized. Again however all hope was dashed upon reboot and all subsequent attempts to go back and forth between Chimera 1.10.0 and 1.11.0 or re-installing on top of itself made no difference. At this point I tried a -x boot which came up and resulted in the usual 64MB VRAM but on a restart immediately after the -x boot but this time with no boot parameters specified once again I obtained the elusive 512MB VRAM and display recognition.

So next I captured the system profiles when it was "broken" and "working" and compared the extensions in play between the two of them. The following is a list of the differences

Broken AppleFileSystemDriver 3.0.1
Broken AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver 2.2.0
Broken AppleIntelFramebufferCapri 8.0.51
Working AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB 8.0.51
Broken AppleSMBusPCI 1.0.10
Working AppleSRP 5.0
Broken AppleTyMCEDriver 1.0.2
Broken HDAEnabler888b 1.0.0d1

The above list represents the differences between the two lists of extensions those denoted "Broken" are extensions that appear when the system has the 64MB VRAM and those that indicate "Working" are when the system has the 512MB VRAM. Again this is the identical physical system just different boots. Some of these like AppleFileSystemDriver make no sense to me that it would appear in the "broken" configuration and not in the "working" one. At any rate one item of interest relating to graphics is the "broken" system had the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext loaded while the working system has the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext loaded. The behavior strikes me that we are dealing with a race condition of some sort or possibly some issue during the Chimera injection process. At any rate this issue has now risen to the point of obsession with me, please have a look and provide me some feedback that might help me find the issue as I will continue to play with this. One other note worthy point is when the system boots to the "broken" state it takes about 34 seconds with it sitting at the pin wheel on the logo screen while when we get a "working" system it requires about 13 seconds at the logo screen pin wheel

This is practically the same issue I'm having with the same 2105 chip and a similar MB (GA-B75M-D3P). How do I inject the proper device ID?

In the same boat. Just started building my first mac, and this is exactly where I am as well, 2125 i3 same motherboard and I need to figure out how to inject the device ID. I actually had it working at one point, but of course, I broke it screwing around. Did you ever come up with a solution?

No fix yet, I've tried Chimera 1.11.1 as well as MultiBeast 5.0.1 but no luck. I have tried removing AppleInterFramebufferCapri.kext from /S/L/E and while that doesn't fix it, so far it has at least been coming up with 512MB of VRAM. Acceleration only works once in a while. I use the system as a backup server for time machine so graphics are not important to me but I intend to try and keep after it as time permits. By editing the org.chameleon.boot.plist and putting in the Graphics Mode, and also editing /Extra/Themes/Default/themes.plist and editing the widths and heights in there I can at least get a screen running at 1920x1080.

HD3000 with Mtn Lion

Same Problem here with a i7 2600k and GA-Z77X-UP5 TH.

I also have a second (actually first) PCI-E GTX 580 Card that runs perfectly.

I don't even get to see the HD3000 at the Apple system information with both cards and booting PEG first.

Only setting IGFX first will show

Device ID: 0x0112
Displays:
Display:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes
will cause a KP until I boot -v and KernelCache=no

GraphicsEnabler=No
Boots just fine with 1920x1200 32, but no recognition as HD3000

Chimera does the device ID injection. The correct device ID's for the HD3000 with GraphicsEnabler=No is 0x0112 and with GraphicsEnabler=Yes it is 0x0126.

I have played around with this some more and on my latest install I have never been able to get it to recognize HD 3000 at all, at least on prior builds I could get it to recognize the HD3000 (somehow just don't know how) but no acceleration. A while back I had Lion running on this I think I will try that path and attempt upgrade to ML. Will report back if I find anything.

Looks by phyne's post that there may be something to the thread he quotes so I'll look at that as well.

I succeed to have HD 3000 QE on DVI port as MacMini 5,1 system profile.
Sometimes mouse does not work after boot.
Also sometimes after restart QE is not enabled, but resolution is ok.

But if I use shutdown instead of restart in 99% cases everything is ok.
Sound, network, usb2.0, air play ... works ok, usb3.0 and Sleep doesn't.

Specs:
MBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU: Intel Core i3-2125 3.3Ghz (Sandy Bridge Socket 1155 CPUs with HD 3000 integrated graphics)
RAM: 8GB Corsair 1333Mhz DDR3 (DDR_1 and DDR_2 slots)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 500GB HDD (SATA3 0 port)
OSX: UniBlast OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion (created by UniBlast)

After initial installation I used MultiBeast 4.6.1. and 5.0.2. Kexts:
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement
AppleRTC
ElliotForceLegacyRTC
EvOreboot
Fake.SMS (with plugins)
NullCPUPowerManagement (without this I have kernel panic)
AHD_3rdParty_SATA
AppleACP/PS2Nub
AppleHDA
ApplePS2Controler
HDAEnabler888b
IONetworkingFamily
System profile = Mac mini 5,1
Chimera 1.11.0

After those steps I had sound, network, usb2.0, but no HD3000 and QE, just 1024x768 on DVI.
I tried also with Chimera 1.11.1, with different Chameleon flags, but nothing helped. :banghead:
Than I found this article with some custom HD3000 Kexts:
http://www.osx86.net/view/2539-intel_hd_graphics_latest.html
Kexts: AppleIntelHDGraphics / AppleHDGraphicsFB / AppleSMBGraphicsFB

With those kexts and some additional chameleon flags I have HD3000, QE and full HD resolution,
but sometimes QE and mouse doesn't work. But if I put manually during Chimera start up:
boot: UserKernelCache=No reset -f command than works everytime. It seems that sometimes
Chameleon flags are not applied. Without this command QE will not work at all. :beachball:
HDMI output is also unusable because mouse does not work, QE is activated,
but most of the picture is missing (some black squares all around) with a lot of flickering.

This is "org.chameleon.Boot.plist":

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No reset</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-f npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>