Contribute
Register

Chimera bootloader will not appear after installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus
CPU
Intel Core i7-9900
Graphics
Nvidia 1080 GTX Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, I'm installing Mavericks on the Dell Inspiron 15r - 5521 of one of my friends and there's an issue. The installation completed properly though I can't get the bootlaoder to appear. This computer came out of the box with 7 partitions all for one Windows 8. Some are only 15MBs large. Fact remains however that the BIOS only gives the option of hard disk boot without any more options, which fails, or under F12 the Windows boot manager, but not the name of the Mac Drive. I'm not sure what's wrong but Chimera won't appear and I can only boot the Mac by booting from the Unibeast Flash Drive.

I doubt that you'll need them but these are the specs:
- Intel i5
- Intel HD 4000

So, I'm installing Mavericks on the Dell Inspiron 15r - 5521 of one of my friends and there's an issue. The installation completed properly though I can't get the bootlaoder to appear. This computer came out of the box with 7 partitions all for one Windows 8. Some are only 15MBs large. Fact remains however that the BIOS only gives the option of hard disk boot without any more options, which fails, or under F12 the Windows boot manager, but not the name of the Mac Drive. I'm not sure what's wrong but Chimera won't appear and I can only boot the Mac by booting from the Unibeast Flash Drive.

I doubt that you'll need them but these are the specs:
- Intel i5
- Intel HD 4000

Your Windows install is likely UEFI. On most BIOS implementations, a UEFI bootloader has priority over a legacy bootloader such as Chimera. If you plan to keep your Windows installation and boot it via a unified bootloader, you should probably use Clover (because Chimera cannot boot a UEFI install of Windows anyway).

Otherwise, see here for dual boot using Chimera: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Your Windows install is likely UEFI. On most BIOS implementations, a UEFI bootloader has priority over a legacy bootloader such as Chimera. If you plan to keep your Windows installation and boot it via a unified bootloader, you should probably use Clover (because Chimera cannot boot a UEFI install of Windows anyway).

Otherwise, see here for dual boot using Chimera: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Thanks a lot. I would happily go with Clover but that means that I have to reformat the OS X partition to FAT32 or FAT64 as the Mac OS X journaled will not work with Clover right? And yes you're right the Windows is UEFI, that's why it didn't work. Thanks :)

Thanks a lot. I would happily go with Clover but that means that I have to reformat the OS X partition to FAT32 or FAT64 as the Mac OS X journaled will not work with Clover right? And yes you're right the Windows is UEFI, that's why it didn't work. Thanks :)

Huh? OS X partition must be HFS+J, regardless of the bootloader you're using.

Huh? OS X partition must be HFS+J, regardless of the bootloader you're using.

Wait I'm confused now. When you format the partition in Disk Utility all tutorials I've seen from the early days of 10.6.6 that I began, say Mac OS X Extended Journaled. Other options are FAT 32 and a quick glimpse on the website of Clover says that it requires FAT32 or FAT64?

Wait I'm confused now. When you format the partition in Disk Utility all tutorials I've seen from the early days of 10.6.6 that I began, say Mac OS X Extended Journaled. Other options are FAT 32 and a quick glimpse on the website of Clover says that it requires FAT32 or FAT64?

Apologies, HFS+ is just another word for Mac OS Extended (Journaled). But I think I saw on Clover's site says that it requires FAT32 or FAT64?

Apologies, HFS+ is just another word for Mac OS Extended (Journaled). But I think I saw on Clover's site says that it requires FAT32 or FAT64?

Clover is installed to the EFI partition which is FAT32. OS X is still HFS+J.

Clover is installed to the EFI partition which is FAT32. OS X is still HFS+J.

Perfect I understand now. Thanks a lot :) Do you have a guide on how to use Clover because I think I saw that I have to compile it? And if you were me, would you reinstall OS X, or does the Chimera installation not matter as it's never appearing anyways? (Sorry it's the first time I'm using Clover)

Perfect I understand now. Thanks a lot :) Do you have a guide on how to use Clover because I think I saw that I have to compile it? And if you were me, would you reinstall OS X, or does the Chimera installation not matter as it's never appearing anyways? (Sorry it's the first time I'm using Clover)

Use this guide for clues on Clover: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

Note that some parts are specific to the HP ProBooks (eg. HPFanreset.efi), so filter the information carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back