Contribute
Register

Check in: Do you have to lower your multiplier or not?

Do you have to set your multiplier to 32x to get your system to boot

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok, trying to gather a definitive answer here. From the people I've spoken to, most of them have to lower their multiplier to 32 to get their system to go without hitting a reset loop with the vanilla SB kernel. However I have spoken to a handful of people who do NOT have to do that. I've asked them about their install and they don't seem to do anything different from those of us who can't set their multiplier higher than 32.

The only common thread I seem to have found amongst them is that they have Asus motherboards. I don't know if this is the case for all of them since I didn't notice it until I saw a post by JoshNYC in this thread here pointing it out

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=16648&start=10

As you see the thread starter there doesn't have to lower his. Please vote in the poll whether you have to lower your multiplier or not, and leave a comment yes/no and what motherboard you have. Let's try to figure out why some of us have to lower the multiplier, and some don't (please note I'm talking about the standard Multiplier, not the Turbo)

Well that seems to be the case, is no one else interested in nailing down why exactly that is? I had been under the impression that the multiplier was a limitation imposed because the kernel was for the macbook pro which only goes up to 2.7ghz so there was a limiter somewhere in it due to that. Going by that assumption I thought when they updated the imacs with full speed processors that would be fixed. But if it's working already as is for Asus boards then the limitation is probably not in the kernel, it's somewhere else possibly on our side of things.

Have to use 32x on my GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 bios version F2.

If this is true that asus doesn't have the issue, it would be something- I think the difference is 2500k vs 2600k or h67 vs p67. Can anyone confirm with h67 asus with 2500k?

The people who voted "no" please note in the thread here what board you have. Actually everyone who voted should be posting please so we can track this down.

Tony: I've spoken to people with both 2500k and 2600k that don't have to lower their multiplier so it's not the processor. As far as h67 vs p67 I'm not sure, I think everyone I've spoken to that hasn't had to adjust the multiplier has the p8p67, but I think that's just because it's the more popular board.

Edit: My total guess of an idea why the Asus boards are ok and the rest aren't, aren't the Asus boards the only ones that use EFI and everyone else is still using Bios?

HI,

I'm running an Asus P8H67-V (H67 chipset) with an i5 2500 (not K), I can set the busratio to 33 without any problems. System boots normally, stability is normal, too.
Don't know how high I could go, the H67 chipset doesn't allow busratios beyond 33 for the 2500 (both K and non-K) and raising the base clock above 100MHz never was and never will be a good idea :)

Best regards,
Daniel

danosx86 said:
HI,

I'm running an Asus P8H67-V (H67 chipset) with an i5 2500 (not K), I can set the busratio to 33 without any problems. System boots normally, stability is normal, too.
Don't know how high I could go, the H67 chipset doesn't allow busratios beyond 33 for the 2500 (both K and non-K) and raising the base clock above 100MHz never was and never will be a good idea :)

Best regards,
Daniel

Ok well- then it IS Asus vs. Gigabyte. Any other confirmations?

The poll is a great idea.

I'm running an Asus PRO with i7-2600k. I have my base mult. set to 34 and turbo to 44 and it boots up fine (with 10.7.3 kernel). I've never experienced the looping issue. I am seeing occasional KPs but I think these are related to my GTX 460 card.

Edit: 44 turbo is confirmed working as I'm able to hit around 13000 in Geekbench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back