Contribute
Register

Cheapest Possible Video Card for Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one event that will change everything in 2022. The switch to Ethereum 2.0.
This is happening today, 9/15/22. No more GPU mining of Ethereum.

With new NVIDIA and AMD Cards coming shortly, it's going be Open Season in the new GPU landscape. I can't wait for the deals that we're about to be hit with.

I can't wait for the deals that we're about to be hit with.
Black Friday November 2022 should be awesome, not only for GPUs but for NVMe SSDs as well. Save up your pennies kids. Just a few short months away ! Most tech retailers start BF sales the beginning of November now, not just the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Here's proof that many more miners are going to stop mining. Before the crypto crash, they used to buy these massive 1200/1600W power supplies so companies like EVGA started making a lot more of them in 2021. Now Newegg is selling these at large discounts to retail. 1600W Supernova for $200 !! 60% off retail price. Don't buy one for your hack as you'll never come close to needing 1600W. Won't even fit in many ATX cases anyway.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Last edited:
Price of Ethereum fell another 8.5% today. Many people got in late, invested a lot in hardware and really got burned. What goes up must come down as they say, just the way markets work. When the price was trending upward in 2021 it would still take a long time for ROI (to make any money) after you'd been mining for a year or two.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Last edited:
I would not get too excited about the Ethereum roadmap... When Ethereum hit the wall with 4Gb cards, those miners just switched over to other coins like Ethereum Classic.... look at the charts from today:

ETH.png

ETC.png

I would not get too excited about the Ethereum roadmap... When Ethereum hit the wall with 4Gb cards, those miners just switched over to other coins like Ethereum Classic.... look at the charts from today:

View attachment 554745

View attachment 554746
Have you noticed much cheaper gas fees?. They used to be horrendous, way cheaper now!.

The overall trend implies less people getting in and more getting out because it's less profitable. Sure people will switch to other coins if they already have mining rigs. I also think that we'll end up getting government crypto currency regulations that prevent all of this cyrpto mining craze from continuing. The Chinese government is already doing that as well as others.
China made big headlines when it banned crypto last year, but it is only one of dozens of countries and jurisdictions that have either banned cryptocurrencies outright or severely restricted it over the past few years.
Fortune.com

Last edited:
Sure, some of them will keep mining with their GPUs. But these hashrates on the Ethereum Classic hard fork are still an order of magnitude lower than those of Ethereum.
As on now, no coin is as profitable as Ethereum was—to the point that mining may not be profitable without stealing electricity:
Prior to The Merge, a GPU like the RTX 3090 could gross around $2.80 per day and the RTX 3080 sat around $2.30 per day, almost entirely thanks to Ethereum mining. Now? Oh boy, how things have changed.

An RTX 3090 running NiceHash Miner decided Autolykos with the most profitable choice for mining. At 245 MH/s, it was bringing in BTC equivalent to around $0.65 per day, while the PC consumed 400W (about 330W from the GPU). Ethereum Classic meanwhile ran at 120 MH/s and consumed the same 330W, potentially bringing in $0.33 per day. At a baseline estimate of $0.10 per kWh, that's $0.80 in power used by the GPU per day, and $0.96 for the entire PC, meaning every coin right now is well into the unprofitable range with NiceHash.

They say that the proof of the pudding is the eating…

A bit late, but the cheapest gpu i could find that works with Monterey (with id spoofing) is the Radeon R7 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back