i7 3770
Graphics
GT 210
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
You can order this one from Ebay.ca. The DP output is 1.2 version and works from High Sierra through Big Sur.

Hi @trs96! :) I've searched for "the cheapest possible video card" that's still supported in Monterey (I don't care about 4K for the time being) and there doesn't seem to be many possibilities... I've collected advices and read https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html but new ones are still quite expensive, so which ones do you think it's possible/easy to find used? (and is there a new one that you'd advise?)

Hi @trs96! :) I've searched for "the cheapest possible video card" that's still supported in Monterey (I don't care about 4K for the time being) and there doesn't seem to be many possibilities... I've collected advices and read https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html but new ones are still quite expensive, so which ones do you think it's possible/easy to find used? (and is there a new one that you'd advise?)

Hi there.

No Kepler Nvidia cards are supported after Big Sur. However a patch has been created which allows Kepler GPUs to run under Monterey. Say, a GT710 or GT730 (I haven't tested).

It's a big shame. AMD cards are still too expensive unless you get lucky. An RX560 is, perhaps, the cheapest reliable option and a Dell OEM AMD RX560 GPU can often be found on Ebay for around €100. I imported one from the US.

Some people will tell you that an RX550 can be made to run, but this is very tricky - and there are two versions, one with a Lexa core which is not compatible. The Baffin core version is. The trouble is, it is difficult to know which is in which GPU unless you can test.

@trs96 will probably have some better ideas.

:)

but new ones are still quite expensive, so which ones do you think it's possible/easy to find used?
There's one event that will change everything in 2022. The switch to Ethereum 2.0. It means that soon the market will be flooded with de-commisioned Ethereum mining GPUs, many of which will be AMD cards that can be used in a hackintosh.

"There are a lot of other chains that support GPU-based mining, so miners could simply choose to start mining other cryptocurrencies. They could also decide to just shut down mining operations entirely and sell their mining equipment. Beiko expects to see a lot of that."

When will we see these "cheap" AMD cards ? IDK but I hope it's soon. Hopefully it will also cause the cost of new cards to be much closer to normal retail prices. Hardware Times seems to think it's 4-6 months away.

The lengthy transition to Ethereum 2.0 seems to be getting even lengthier. The second most popular cryptocurrency is slated to move to a Proof of Stake model from a Proof of Work algorithm. This means that the present method of validating transactions using bandwidth and power-hungry GPUs will be replaced by a greener, eco-friendly alternative. As a result of this, Ethereum will become infeasible for GPU mining, thereby helping ease the ongoing shortages.

The Ethereum Foundation has announced the launch of the first Ethereum 2.0 Testnet dubbed Kintsugi. The testing and bug-fixing will be carried out for a few months, after which it will be merged with the primary node. It is worth noting that several other Testnets are planned to be launched after Kintsugi in order to eliminate any possible vulnerabilities before the full fledged merger of Eth1 and Eth2.
Bitcoin/Crypto mining using GPUs has to end soon as it's accelerating the ecological disaster that affects everyone. It makes no sense to let greed for financial gain do this to our environment. Look at how many GPUs are running in this Crypto Mining operation in Texas. Insanity.

1644069090922.png

Last edited:
Hi there.

No Kepler Nvidia cards are supported after Big Sur. However a patch has been created which allows Kepler GPUs to run under Monterey. Say, a GT710 or GT730 (I haven't tested).

It's a big shame. AMD cards are still too expensive unless you get lucky. An RX560 is, perhaps, the cheapest reliable option and a Dell OEM AMD RX560 GPU can often be found on Ebay for around €100. I imported one from the US.

Some people will tell you that an RX550 can be made to run, but this is very tricky - and there are two versions, one with a Lexa core which is not compatible. The Baffin core version is. The trouble is, it is difficult to know which is in which GPU unless you can test.

Ahoy! ;) Yes, I'm using chris1111's patch for Mojave on my Z68+GT210, but though it works I have some doubt of it being perfect (colorsync suddenly stopped working at all and I had a hard time making it work again without reinstalling all... I couldn't trace for sure who was the culprit but it could very well be those drivers) One downside of it is also that it's not meant for being patched from another partition (even more impossible with recent OSes, of course...), so at every update you must apply the patch again or else you're screwed. So, I keep an eye on the Monterey patches, anyway, at least when I do my trials in a few months. :)

There's one event that will change everything in 2022. It means that soon the market will be flooded with de-commisioned Ethereum mining GPUs, many of which will be AMD cards that can be used in a hackintosh.

"There are a lot of other chains that support GPU-based mining, so miners could simply choose to start mining other cryptocurrencies. They could also decide to just shut down mining operations entirely and sell their mining equipment. Beiko expects to see a lot of that."

When will we see these "cheap" AMD cards ? IDK but I hope it's soon. Hopefully it will also cause the cost of new cards to be much closer to normal retail prices. Hardware Times seems to think it's 4-6 months away.
Very interesting indeed! Thank you! :thumbup:

Very interesting indeed!
The very best price/performance card for Monterey is the AMD RX 6600XT but only when it's selling at retail price or below. Sure hope we can buy those for a lot less $ later in 2022.

:) I've searched for "the cheapest possible video card" that's still supported in Monterey (I don't care about 4K for the time being) and there doesn't seem to be many possibilities...
Based on "cheapest possible" and "I don't care about 4K," I'd say a UHD630 iGPU would be be more than adequate. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a new rig. These EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Minis are great and a G4 Mini that exceeds your current rig's specs may not be much more expensive than the new video card.

EDIT: If you don't care about non-working sleep, you can obtain a well-equipped 800 G3 Mini at a great price. Everything about the G3 Mini (when I tested it) worked great except for the well-known KabyLake iGPU sleep issue.

EDIT2: Others have indicated that my 800 G4/G5 Mini EFI works on HP's ProDesk 600 Minis. I checked prices for used HP ProDesk 600 G4 Minis. Very competitive pricing for a great platform. Compare the specs of the ProDesk 600 G4/G5 Mini and the EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini and you'll find you're not sacrificing much.

Last edited:
Hi there.

Don't forget the XFX version of the 560 needs to be flashed with a V-Bios from a different manufacturer for it to work.

Bitcoin/Crypto mining using GPUs has to end soon as it's accelerating the ecological disaster that affects everyone. It makes no sense to let greed for financial gain do this to our environment.
Well Greed and Financial gain has been destroying our environment long long long before crypto mining came into existence and I am sure will continue long after. :-/

Last edited:
The very best price/performance card for Monterey is the AMD RX 6600XT but only when it's selling at retail price or below. Sure hope we can buy those for a lot less $ later in 2022.
Ethereum price is down 56% in the past 365 days. May even fall further. It's forcing many if not most of the ETH miners to decommision their mining rigs. Something that was inevitable. At it's peak 11/08/2021 it was valued at just under $4,900 !

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back