Contribute
Register

Cheapest GPU for 4K Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

Just signed up as I have a system with Linux that I've been eying dual booting with Hackintosh. I got a MBP Retina 2015 as a daily driver but I could use the extra juice and nicer experience for development.

The system currently got a Geforce 1080ti but I've understood it's not compatible.

So I'm looking to throw in another GPU as well and am just looking for nothing fancy but something that will work with Catalina and produce 4K smoothly but no advanced rendering or anything, just for desktop use primarily as I'm a dev.

Read about 570/580 etc but they seem to run you $200 here and I'm hoping to spend less.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Greetings,

Just signed up as I have a system with Linux that I've been eying dual booting with Hackintosh. I got a MBP Retina 2015 as a daily driver but I could use the extra juice and nicer experience for development.

The system currently got a Geforce 1080ti but I've understood it's not compatible.

So I'm looking to throw in another GPU as well and am just looking for nothing fancy but something that will work with Catalina and produce 4K smoothly but no advanced rendering or anything, just for desktop use primarily as I'm a dev.

Read about 570/580 etc but they seem to run you $200 here and I'm hoping to spend less.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Hi there.

You need to complete your hardware profile - it's part of the Site Rules and enables people to offer help.

Bear in mind we do not support AMD CPU systems here and posts will be removed :thumbup:

There are many used Quadro K600s on Ebay which give you 4K/60Hz via the DP 1.2 output. Should cost under 25 dollars.
If you want more Vram then you could get a Quadro K2000 for not a lot more.

Last edited:
Honestly if you just want to display the screen why do you need an GPU? Intel graphic can drive a screen at 4K. If you want a GPU you might want to go with low end AMD for longevity as likely an old NVIDIA would become unsupported when September rolls around and a new OS is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back