Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm looking to build a Hackintosh HTPC but I also want to be able to play Starcraft 2 at High/Ultra on it. I've decided on the Micro-ATX form factor. I was hoping for some suggestions on cheaper Gigabyte boards with the 1156 chipset (I want to start with an i3 but want the possibility to upgrade). Besides that requirement I also definitely need some form of digital output that supply my receiver with a 5.1 channel signal. This could be HDMI or Optical/Coaxial SPDIF... honestly Coaxial would be ideal but I'll take whatever I can get.

I did do some research before posting and one of the boards I was looking at was the GA-H55M-USB3. It looks like a great board but I haven't seen confirmation that digital audio output is working and I'd like to spend less than that if possible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128429&Tpk=GA-H55M-USB3
Thanks!

Burninator said:
I'd also recommend my board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128421&Tpk=h55m-ud2h)

Though I haven't tried SPDIF audio myself, so no idea if it works. (I don't have any devices to try it with... heh)

Thanks, that board has the same audio chip so I'm assuming if it works on the H55M-USB3 then your board would work as well and it's $10 cheaper. I've also searched for the ALC889 audio chipset specifically and haven't found a definitive answer on digital output.

Do you have something that uses HDMI by any chance? I've read in some posts that it's possible to get audio working over HDMI in certain scenarios.

Appreciate the responses, I picked up that board along with the batwing 5770 and an i5 750 (impulse buy... was gonna get an i3 ;)) Anyways, slowly working on getting this thing running step by step as I have time but I'm stuck on "still waiting for root device." I haven't seen that asshole message since installing on old P4 architecture... really frustrating. Is there any specific SATA configuration I should be following? I know all my hardware is compatible, is it possible my hdd is DOA?

Wow, nevermind, looks like changing the boot priority got things going :/

Yeah so my new HTPC setup is working quite well... just posting here because I don't know where else to post but wanted to say that with your board and forced AC3 pass through in Plex is giving me 5.1 out of the SPDIF optical output. Also wanted to say thanks to this community because it's awesome (that's why I donated ;) saved me money for a bad ass Mac HTPC). Didn't know where else to say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back