Motherboard
MSI Z97 GAMING 5
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Hello everybody! I would like to build a very cheap Hackintosh. My goal is to ensure that the components will have the maximum compatibility with the future releases of Mac OS. At the moment I'm thinking about this build:
CPU: Intel Core i3-10100
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z490M
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 3000
SSD: Crucial P1 500GB M.2

I've got some doubts about buying a 10th gen Intel Core, would you recommend it? Or should I stick with a 9th gen one? I was also wondering why the B460 chipset doesn't seem suitable for installing Mac OS.

Any advice will be very welcome! Thank you :)

My goal is to ensure that the components will have the maximum compatibility with the future releases of Mac OS.
There's nothing wrong with a Z490 and 10th gen Intel build. It will theoretically have the longest support but it really depends on how long Apple continues to support Intel Macs. Could be 4-5 years or possibly only 3-4. If you always have to be on the latest macOS version and keep a system for 7-8 years or more the longest support is going to be with an Apple Silicon Mac, not a hackintosh. I doubt we'll see any AppleSi iMacs at the next event but if you can wait half a year there may be some amazing iMacs and maybe even a Mac mini worth investing in for the long haul.

very cheap Hackintosh

Well, very cheap to me is NOT buying new, bleeding edge hardware. To me “very cheap” is used cpu and motherboard for under $200. I have a few 61 series motherboards that run Catalina just fine.

Well, very cheap to me is NOT buying new, bleeding edge hardware. To me “very cheap” is used cpu and motherboard for under $200. I have a few 61 series motherboards that run Catalina just fine.
Guess you didn't read their post and just decided to comment. Cheap means something different to everyone.

PS 10 gen I3 is the same as a 7th gen I7 so not bleeding edge more like trickle-down and this brand new board and the chip is only about $280 why waste your money for a few dollars more you can get new. Keep in mind $100 to you might be pocket change to someone else.

There's nothing wrong with a Z490 and 10th gen Intel build. It will theoretically have the longest support but it really depends on how long Apple continues to support Intel Macs. Could be 4-5 years or possibly only 3-4. If you always have to be on the latest macOS version and keep a system for 7-8 years or more the longest support is going to be with an Apple Silicon Mac, not a hackintosh. I doubt we'll see any AppleSi iMacs at the next event but if you can wait half a year there may be some amazing iMacs and maybe even a Mac mini worth investing in for the long haul.

I know it is wishful thinking but I holding out hope they will release an Apple Silicon Mac Mini in the next 9 months.

I know it is wishful thinking but I holding out hope they will release an Apple Silicon Mac Mini in the next 9 months.
It makes a lot of sense to do that. The new Apple SOCs run cooler, use less energy and have decent integrated graphics. Perfect for a small, low airflow Mac mini enclosure. The developer kit they sent out to iOS and macOS devs last June was already a working example so it can't be that hard to make one for the general public.

The big question is, will they still have TH3/4 ports ?? I think they will since those are widely used for audio production and you know all about the importance of low latency for audio recording work. I'm hoping the base model gets 8 cores along with 4 GPU cores and the price stays somewhat reasonable as it should. Their SOCs will cost a lot less than what they were paying Intel.

Last edited:
It makes a lot of sense to do that. The new Apple SOCs run cooler, use less energy and have decent integrated graphics. Perfect for a small, low airflow Mac mini enclosure. The developer kit they sent out to iOS and macOS devs last June was already a working example so it can't be that hard to make one for the general public.

The big question is, will they still have TH3/4 ports ?? I think they will since those are widely used for audio production and you know all about the importance of low latency for audio recording work. I'm hoping the base model gets 8 cores along with 4 GPU cores and the price stays somewhat reasonable as it should. Their SOCs will cost a lot less than what they were paying Intel.

They say they are not dropping thunderbolt so I see no reason not to have one. The A12Z is 8CPU/8GPU cores it benches fairly comparable to the Mid 2019 13" Macbook Pro I7 8569U or mid 2020 I5 1038NG7.

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 11.34.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 7.18.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 11.34.49 AM.png

Even on the Multi-Core, they are not far off when you consider that they are using 4 low powered cores and 4 high powered cores.

Hello everybody! I would like to build a very cheap Hackintosh. My goal is to ensure that the components will have the maximum compatibility with the future releases of Mac OS. At the moment I'm thinking about this build:
CPU: Intel Core i3-10100
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z490M
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 3000
SSD: Crucial P1 500GB M.2

I've got some doubts about buying a 10th gen Intel Core, would you recommend it? Or should I stick with a 9th gen one? I was also wondering why the B460 chipset doesn't seem suitable for installing Mac OS.

Any advice will be very welcome! Thank you :)

CPU: Good.

MB: I've seen a good amount of bad reviews about that Gigabyte mobo (look on Newegg), so I'd recommend the Prime Z490M-Plus

GPU: Not sure how the UHD 630 performs, but you could get a Nvidia GT 710 if you want something more powerful

RAM: It'd be better to go dual-channel, so 2x8GB sticks.

SSD: Not bad.

Don't forget a PSU. Get something reliable from Seasonic, EVGA or Corsair.

Case: I would get a good quality budget case, like the Fractal Design Focus something.

UHD 630 will probably outperform a GT 710.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back