Contribute
Register

Charlee's first G5 hack (edited to show pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock Deskmini 110
CPU
I5 6500T
Graphics
Intel 530
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Charlee's first G5 hack

Hi everyone, first off I would like to say I've been lurking around on this forum since 2012 dreaming that one day I would be customizing a G5 case. I've spent countless hours studying your builds, debating the do's and don't of each build I saw and creating a mental image of what I wanted mine to look like. I've been with the Apple "family" since around the same time and back in 2013 I bought this 2.0Ghz dual cpu G5 that was still in working condition before I started taking it apart in mid January. So, here goes with my build and please, feel free to comment!

Components:
The build:

I started this project with an old case I had. I just kept the I/O shield and cards part and the old motherboard.

I then removed the part where is the rear fans and mac I/O. The idea was to keep the original fan mounting setup.
ALOT of J.B. Weld was used to put thoses parts together! There was also a couple of hours just to drill all the holes to imitate the original look.

After that it was time to paint!

When the assembly time came, I kind of got excited and completely forgot to take pictures of the process. Here are the pics of where it stands right now until I get funds to buy the rest of the parts I need.

I took the original motherboard as a template and I cut a metal plate and drilled holes to accommodate the original standoffs and after that it was time to pass the wires under that plate to get a cleaner look. I will also add a sticker on the cpu cover but that has to be decided yet.
Thanks for watching my build and I'll update as soon as there is more to show.

Some details I forgot to mention, I'm planning to use the original Apple speaker for bios sound but was wondering if that could be bad for the motherboard? If anyone know where I could look for the info, that would be cool.

I've replaced the 2 power supply fans with new super quiet 60mm from Vantec (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000234W04/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20) and the 2 92mm fans that came with the Noctua cooler are now in the back of the case. The cooler won't be cooled directly, that's why I kept the clear plastic that came originally with the case. I guess it creates a wind tunnel that will have no choice to go thru the cooler.

thumb_IMG_0917_1024.jpg

There is also the hard drive bay that I will only be using as expansion bays. My idea is to install the ssd's in the bottom plate, just below the cpu cooler.

thumb_IMG_0926_1024 2.jpg

As for the power supply, I took it out of his enclosure and fitted everything in the original G5 enclosure. But like I said earlier, I don't have any pics of that, sorry...​

Paint job looks really nice! Especially those shots of the inside of the side panel door!
What brand/color name did you use for this?

Thanks!!

The black paint is satin black from tremclad but I wouldn't recommend it because after 7 drying hours it was still tacky. For the other cooler it's Duplicolor wheel paint graphite (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000B6AF26/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20) That paint is amazing, after an hour it was dry and ready to manipulate. Just for my experience, don't use primer. I did try it on the back of the case and the finish was not as expected. I redid the centre part without primer and the finish is what you see in the pictures.81qXs8uA0WL._SL1500_.jpg

Hey guys, I have a question about an IDE to SATA adapter, would OS X recognize the dvd burner? I would like to use this one but I'm not sure it would work. Anyway, any input would be good. thanks

Depends which Adaptor your looking at. I use a IDE to USB which works fine in OS X. Something like will work which is the same as the Adaptor i use.

41gT5IWxO0L.jpg

I just found this one that states " Compatible with all operating systems" I think I will give it a try.

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/44p-sata.html

And it seems to be the same hardware as the on eon eBay for a quarter of the price.

You could probably make your own Kext using Xcode if it doesn't work i think OS X/macOS doesn't have support for IDE devices but could always try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back