i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all,

I have a daily driver mini ITX Z390 system running Big Sur on OpenCore 0.6.5. It works great - not really anything to tweak currently, it's the only computer I use working from home.

But, according to specs the iMac 19,1 is a better fit in terms of CPU and GPU for my hardware. I honestly do not know why I picked 18,3 at first (I was a n00b).

The OS identifies my cpu correctly and it seems to be running fine, sleep, wifi etc. Sidecar can be sketchy over wireless but I get that from my Apple computer as well so can't really blame the hack there.

Are there any obvious benefits to switching? Never mess with a working system echoes in my head but on the other hand I updated my fully functioning 0.5.9 Catalina to current system and am very satisfied with that.

Thanks

1611561121382.png

You will probably find that when you initially setup your ITX Z390 system that the iMac 19,1 hadn't been released by Apple. So everyone who purchased one of the 9000-series CPUs used the iMac 18,1/18,2 or 18,3 SMBIOS. Some choose to disable the IGPU and used the iMac Pro 1,1 SMBIOS, so they could get better DRM functionality.

I wouldn't recommend you change it unless it is causing issues.

You will probably find that when you initially setup your ITX Z390 system that the iMac 19,1 hadn't been released by Apple. So everyone who purchased one of the 9000-series CPUs used the iMac 18,1/18,2 or 18,3 SMBIOS. Some choose to disable the IGPU and used the iMac Pro 1,1 SMBIOS, so they could get better DRM functionality.

I wouldn't recommend you change it unless it is causing issues.

Thanks - that makes total sense.

I will keep it as is. As far as I know I get full performance from all components (except Wifi/BT which is disabled and replaced). It was the OC guide that made me realise I wasn't using the optimal SMBIOS which they advice you do.

If you are switching from Clover to OpenCore, then changing the SMBIOS to the iMac19,1 might be a good thing. As you are likely to be resetting/reinstalling the system. You will want the OpenCore setup to function as best it can and that would be with the correct SMBIOS for your i9 CPU.

Just make sure you use the 'CleanNvram.efi' tool, before your first boot with the OpenCore setup. So you remove any hangover data in the Nvram from the Clover setup.

I assume you have seen this Clover Conversion guide over at GitHub - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion

If you are switching from Clover to OpenCore, then changing the SMBIOS to the iMac19,1 might be a good thing. As you are likely to be resetting/reinstalling the system. You will want the OpenCore setup to function as best it can and that would be with the correct SMBIOS for your i9 CPU. Just make sure you use the 'CleanNvram.efi' tool, before your first boot with the OpenCore setup. So you remove any hangover data in the Nvram from the Clover setup. I assume you have seen this Clover Conversion guide over at GitHub - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion
If you are switching from Clover to OpenCore, then changing the SMBIOS to the iMac19,1 might be a good thing. As you are likely to be resetting/reinstalling the system. You will want the OpenCore setup to function as best it can and that would be with the correct SMBIOS for your i9 CPU.

Just make sure you use the 'CleanNvram.efi' tool, before your first boot with the OpenCore setup. So you remove any hangover data in the Nvram from the Clover setup.

I assume you have seen this Clover Conversion guide over at GitHub - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion
I am on O.C 0.6.5. I switched from Clover/Catalina -- OC 0.5.9/Catalina -- OC 0.6.5/BigSur. Didn't reinstall in any of the steps since it worked all along (thank you OC sanity checker).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back