Graphics
GTX 570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'd like to try switching my hackintosh from the Geforce 9600 1GB to an ATI 4870 but I'm worried about what I might run into once I start switching hardware. Especially since these setups seem so dependent on having the right DSDT edits and kext files.

Can anyone offer ideas on how best to proceed?

As long as you're running 10.6.2 it should be fine, as this is the way a lot of people have gotten their ATI cards working, i.e. install OS X using an Nvidia card, then swap the card for an ATI card and install the needed kexts/do modifications to files.

Should be ok- if you run into boot issues, remember to try -x or use the Boot CD. Good luck!

thelostswede said:
As long as you're running 10.6.2 it should be fine, as this is the way a lot of people have gotten their ATI cards working, i.e. install OS X using an Nvidia card, then swap the card for an ATI card and install the needed kexts/do modifications to files.

I tried this method on my P55M-UD2.

Change my 9800GT to ATI4890

I tried once (install all last 3 options related to 48XX in the graphic section), I got KP after reboot.

Which option should I choose in Multibeast?

mwpmo said:
thelostswede said:

I tried this method on my P55M-UD2.

Change my 9800GT to ATI4890

Which option should I choose in Multibeast?

I tried once (install all last 3 options related to 48XX in the graphic section), I got KP after reboot?

Probably want to ask someone with that card, but I'd just try one at a time. Then you can remove them and know what you're installing and where. Be aware that some of the ATI fixes are designed to replace system kexts in /System/Library/Extensions.

I'd start with LegacyATI 48xx kext- it goes in /Extra so you're safe there. ;)

I ordered my 4870 and a second hard drive....my plan was to clone my existing drive then work on the video card swap.

I know netkas has done a lot of work with ATI cards.

Should I just try his kexts one at a time like you recommended above?

Do they all work in both 32 and 64 bit modes?

Do I need to uninstall any GeForce related items?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back