Contribute
Register

Changing format of storage drive from NTFS to HFS on dual boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 FF
CPU
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello guys! I have not been on here so much lately as my Hackintosh has been performing very well. It is in fact performing so well I am wanting to use it as my main desktop. I am entertaining the notion of taking my 1.5 TB internal "Work" storage drive and copying over my data and re-formatting it as HFS extended journaled. The reason for this is as follows...

-I would like to be able to search the contents of the HDD while in Mavericks
-I prefer to use Time Machine as a backup for my data as it is less of a headache then using 3rd party windows apps
-Increased storage for my iPhoto library

My question is this. Will windows be able to read/write as it does now to the HDD once it is formatted HFS Extended Journaled???

I have windows audio plugins (VST) and projects on the drive currently and it is formatted NTFS for windows. I imagine I will have to re-activate the plugins after I reformat. I will also be moving my iTunes library to be read from the OSX partition instead of how I have been using it for years in Windows.

So I still want the option to use windows and access the drive for plugins and music editing projects. Do any of you have any tips or thoughts on this? I really just want to be able to plug my other external in and backup the important information with Time Machine inside OSX. THANKS IN ADVANCE! Please advise!

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Anyone? I hope to do this tonight.....

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
One solution would be to format the drive in NTFS and access it from OS X with Tuxera NTFS.

Good Luck

Thanks P1LGRIM, I am not at home to try it just yet. My question is will that app allow the drive to be included in the Time Machine backup???

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p700
CPU
2x E5-2620 V3
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
From the Tuxera website :

"How to backup an NTFS drive with Time Machine?
Use of Time Machine® software requires the drive to be reformatted to HFS+ (which is native Mac OS X file system). Therefore, an NTFS drive can’t be used by Time Machine. Unfortunately this is a limitation that no additional program can solve.
Alternatively, the drive can be partitioned into a Mac volume (HFS+) and a Windows volume (NTFS). This resulting drive would be both a backup drive for Mac OS X and a data exchange drive with NTFS."

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
From the Tuxera website :

"How to backup an NTFS drive with Time Machine?
Use of Time Machine® software requires the drive to be reformatted to HFS+ (which is native Mac OS X file system). Therefore, an NTFS drive can’t be used by Time Machine. Unfortunately this is a limitation that no additional program can solve.
Alternatively, the drive can be partitioned into a Mac volume (HFS+) and a Windows volume (NTFS). This resulting drive would be both a backup drive for Mac OS X and a data exchange drive with NTFS."

Yeah, the biggest reason for the change is to use the Time Machine for my backups because of its ease of use. I really dont want to add a partition. Do you know if I am able to read and write the same way on windows with a HFS formatted drive? Thanks again for your help!

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Yeah, the biggest reason for the change is to use the Time Machine for my backups because of its ease of use. I really dont want to add a partition. Do you know if I am able to read and write the same way on windows with a HFS formatted drive? Thanks again for your help!

Windows cannot natively read or write to HFS+ formatted drives.
You can, however buy a 3rd party software to allow it to do so.
Tuxera for Windows is one and there are others - google is your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.