Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
asus p5kdeluxe wifi
CPU
Q6600
Graphics
GTX 550 Ti
My long term hackintosh built (2007-2014) suddenly died. It was working well from OS X 9 to 10.9 with - Core2Q 6600, Asus P5K deluxe wifi, (recently upgraded) asus gtx 550ti 1gb, 6GBDDR2 RAM, corsairVS650 PSU and a cooler master HAF920 adv. case. Seems like a problem with mobo or CPU - gone for repair.

Thus i have decided to go with Asus Z97-WS
mobo, i7 4790k, corsair vengeance 8x2, SSD. However i have decided to keep my (not so recently) updated graphic card - 550ti, the case and 650watt PSU.

i hardly game but do occasional 3D rendering with a medical software (Osirix) or some autocad / sketchup work (personal) which is hasselfree with MacBook Pro 2014 (13").

How will the setup behave and do i really need to update my graphic card ?

My long term hackintosh built (2007-2014) suddenly died. It was working well from OS X 9 to 10.9 with - Core2Q 6600, Asus P5K deluxe wifi, (recently upgraded) asus gtx 550ti 1gb, 6GBDDR2 RAM, corsairVS650 PSU and a cooler master HAF920 adv. case. Seems like a problem with mobo or CPU - gone for repair.

Thus i have decided to go with Asus Z97-WS
mobo, i7 4790k, corsair vengeance 8x2, SSD. However i have decided to keep my (not so recently) updated graphic card - 550ti, the case and 650watt PSU.

i hardly game but do occasional 3D rendering with a medical software (Osirix) or some autocad / sketchup work (personal) work which work all right with MacBook Pro 2014 (13").

How will the setup behave and do i really need to update my graphic card ?

GPU should be OK with nVidia web drivers.
You might want to check with the OEM for the PSU - standby power draw for Haswell hardware is much lower than older CPUs and if the PSU is not rated Haswell ready or Haswell certified it may shutoff and shutdown your OS X instead of going to sleep/hibernate.

Thanks for GPU confidence.
I need to correct the mistake, the PSU is TX650.
Checked with corseair publication on same issue and to my relief it is compatible.
Thank-you for the update though. I had no idea that it could be a potential issue.

Got my build ready. Working fine with Asus Z97-WS mobo, i7 4790k, corseair 8x2 1600mhz memory.
Asus GTX 550ti 1gb is recognized as 1500mb with original nvidia driver for Mac. Also Unable to use web driver.
Have not been able to check the benchmarks.
Sleep, shutdown , dual LAN are all working fine.
Unable to make TPLink N781ND (atheros 9485) work though.
Work in progress :
1) 550ti with HDMI audio
2) atheros 9485

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back