Contribute
Register

CHANGE.ORG Petition for GTX 780 customers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few competing issues here which should be discussed, however concisely: Mac vs hack support, drivers/kexts vs vbios, and Apple's vs. NVidia's responsibilities.
First, it's unlikely that there will ever be intentional NVidia hackintosh support; that is, "PC" GPUs running OS X. We should never expect even unintentional hackintosh support for anything, that's the way it goes.
Second, "Mac" GPUs (of which there will be fewer and fewer now that the Pro doesn't have PCIe slots) are developed differently from "PC". The differentiating factor, which PJ touched on, was the "AppleEFI" VBios, which is the card's firmware. The firmware is often the critical component of the card, since it controls the internal operation and how the card interacts with the rest of the system, which is why real Macs require Mac Edition cards. While it is theoretically (and sometimes practically), possible to flash a new VBios, it's a risky procedure; you're almost always stuck with the card you bought. Which brings us to
third, that by all accounts NVidia does their own driver/kext development for OS X, and with a unified architecture, i.e. all known cards are "supported". Intel/AMD kexts are incredibly complex and multifarious, reflecting Apple's tailored designs, whereas NVidia's almost look like their Windows driver architecture, slightly refactored for OS X (and with longstanding implementation bugs). This is also borne out by the fact that NVidia hosts their drivers in a pkg for OS X on their website, available for download by anyone, in a release cycle that is shorter than OS X's.
So we've established that the card you actually buy matters (because you're stuck with the firmware, which is not the same thing as the drivers), and that only Mac Edition cards are intended to run on OS X since they require special firmware, and that NVidia is already doing (nearly) independent development of their driver stack for OS X. This means, first, that NVidia is probably already doing as much as they can to help hackintoshers without actually developing with them in mind, second, that hackintoshers represent a completely different hardware segment from Mac users, and third, that if any unintentional support arrives, it will be from the existing driver update page.

Well, thank you for delivering said information in a positive way. I actually said to hell with Mavericks and am very glad I did. The only reason I upgraded that far was because Premiere wouldn't load. The updates for Premiere CC have fixed whatever was causing it to not open and all I have to do is run the disable opencl script to open it then re-enable once it's loaded. Mercury playback works, raytraced render works in After Effects, but most joyously; preview, office, FCP7, applescript, and basically everything now works WITHOUT having to disable openCL. Also, my Heaven benchmark scores are up 600 points on ultra settings from ~1000 to ~1600.... so if anyone out there has a gtx 780 (GK11x) go back to Mountain Lion set up two script files for enable and disable so you can load Premiere CC (CS6 still doesn't work) I put mine in the Applications folder to access easily, dock would be good too I guess.

Instructions (Bloodyelle's post):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115283-opencl-thread-crashing-3.html

(THANK YOU bloodyelle!! and everyone else trying to figure this out)

I feel like I'm waking up from a nightmare...

Thank you to all the positive people on this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back