Contribute
Register

Change.org Apple publicly commit to work with Nvidia on drivers for Mac OS 10.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any proof that Apple is "blocking" the drivers (meaning that Nvidia has those drivers already), or is it really the case that Nvidia does not yet have those drivers ready (and are trying to shift the blame) and those users are placing the blame on the wrong company? Or are both companies to blame for this?
There are already Mojave (Metal 2) drivers for NVIDIA cards, NVIDIA wrote the drivers and Apple included them in macOS. 3rd party graphics drivers (e.g. for cards not in macs) are not the same as general hardware kexts, for one thing they need to be recognised as platform binaries since 10.12 otherwise they don't work properly. I don't think NVIDIA can just release drivers without Apple's involvement.

No, it's like this: Goodyear has been making great tires and has a track record of working with Ford cars. Ford creates a new ad campaign claiming that their cars are compatible with all tires, since they created a replaceable function(ie: thunderbolt 3) to allow all tires. Next thing you know, Ford does a recall to update the ABS brakes. Now, these new ABS brakes are optimized to work with Westlake Tires (AMD), and are potentially dangerous on Goodyear tires. Some could go as far as to say that the Ford car is useless for people without Westlake tires. This created an artificial monopoly, which forces consumers to go out and buy Westlake tires. Ford has a moral obligation to make the new ABS brakes compatible with Goodyear tires.

If Ford really did this btw, there would be a huge class action lawsuit demanding compensation for loss of wages, etc. due to anti-consumer anti-freemarket monopolistic practices.

If Apple did indeed do something to stop Nvidia web drivers from working, I would expect Nvidia to sue Apple on anti-competitive behavior. Abusing monopolies/oligopolies would definitely be a legitimate basis for not only a law suit, but government intervention. No, I don't believe this for a second.

Someone on Nvidia's forum stated that not only is Apple not doing anything to prevent Nvidia from releasing drivers, they are actually assisting Nvidia. (Please see post #726.)

This along with how bad the Nvidia web drivers have been for so long leads me to believe this is all due to Nvidia's ineptitude at creating good, working drivers.

If you remember how bad the Nvidia web drivers were for High Sierra 10.13.0 - 10.13.3, you know how bad their Mickey Mouse driver coding team is. (This was when those Goodyear tires were causing heavy headache inducing stuttering on Fords.) It took them that long to correct the UI lag issue and I would not expect them to be able to capable of releasing Metal 2 compliant drivers until at least Mojave 10.14.3.

Therefore, I think bitching and moaning to Apple is the wrong course of action and whomever signs it is barking up the wrong tree. Had the petition been directed towards Jensen Huang and Nvidia, I would have signed it.

Last edited:
Nvidia and Apple had a very long time to create drivers for Mojave since beta came out. It's either they are in a very bad state and need more work (which is hard to believe) or Apple does not want Nvidia products working on OSX which is more believable as they have been using only AMD GPU's for many years.

Nvidia and Apple had a very long time to create drivers for Mojave since beta came out. It's either they are in a very bad state and need more work (which is hard to believe) or Apple does not want Nvidia products working on OSX which is more believable as they have been using only AMD GPU's for many years.

As far as I know, the Macs that shipped with Nvidia cards work with Mojave. Apple has never been responsible for releasing Nvidia web drivers.

Nvidia had the entire beta period and 10.14.0-10.14.2 to work on their drivers, but still nothing.

The conspiracy theory that Apple doesn't want Nvidia products from working in macOS is crazy. How does that benefit Apple? Macs sold with AMD GPUs have already been sold. It makes no difference to Apple what GPUs users use with their Macs. Does Apple go out of their way to prevent 3rd party mice from working? This is just insanity.

Yep. I signed this the other day.

Don't really mind about the who's and what's of who's not doing what, just make the dang drivers already. Two huge companies: they will figure it out if enough people start barking about it.

The conspiracy theory that Apple doesn't want Nvidia products from working in macOS is crazy. How does that benefit Apple? Macs sold with AMD GPUs have already been sold. It makes no difference to Apple what GPUs users use with their Macs. Does Apple go out of their way to prevent 3rd party mice from working? This is just insanity.

Maybe it's crazy but if it was not true Apple would allow third party Thunderbolt enclosures with Nvidia cards. Officially only eGPUs with some AMD cards work that way. Nvidia owners has to modify system files to make them work as eGPUs.

Maybe it's crazy but if it was not true Apple would allow third party Thunderbolt enclosures with Nvidia cards. Officially only eGPUs with some AMD cards work that way. Nvidia owners has to modify system files to make them work as eGPUs.

Nothing prevents you from using 3rd party Thunderbolt enclosures with an Nvidia card other than the fact that Nvidia hasn't released any drivers. Once again, Apple has never released Nvidia web drivers, it's all on Nvidia.

Since none of the current Macs have any Nvidia GPUs, why would Apple develop drivers for someone else's products. No company on earth would offer free support for another company's products. Microsoft doesn't write Nvidia drivers for Windows either. If you sell video cards, you are responsible for the drivers for your video cards.

Maybe we should petition Apple to write drivers for Intel Wi-Fi too...

Last edited:
Nothing prevents you from using 3rd party Thunderbolt enclosures with an Nvidia card other than the fact that Nvidia hasn't released any drivers. Once again, Apple has never released Nvidia web drivers, it's all on Nvidia.

Since none of the current Macs have any Nvidia GPUs, why would Apple develop drivers for someone else's products. No company on earth would offer free support for another company's products. Microsoft doesn't write Nvidia drivers for Windows either. If you sell video cards, you are responsible for the drivers for your video cards.

Maybe we should petition Apple to write drivers for Intel Wi-Fi too...

Nvidia has explicitly stated that it's not releasing drivers until Apple signs them. There's no conspiracy theory here. Yes, your eyes have deceived you, your beloved Apple is in the wrong here. And yes, it could potentially benefit Apple to not sign them in a timely fashion, as they could indirectly want Nvidia to do a contract with Apple for projects to get everything done by having Nvidia people work with Apple (Apple also makes at LEAST 3x ROI on everything it invests money in). inb4 defense

Nvidia has explicitly stated that it's not releasing drivers until Apple signs them. There's no conspiracy theory here. Yes, your eyes have deceived you, your beloved Apple is in the wrong here. And yes, it could potentially benefit Apple to not sign them in a timely fashion, as they could indirectly want Nvidia to do a contract with Apple for projects to get everything done by having Nvidia people work with Apple (Apple also makes at LEAST 3x ROI on everything it invests money in). inb4 defense

If it is indeed a matter of just getting the drivers signed, then Nvidia is screwing everyone by not releasing the drivers unsigned.

I don't understand what you mean by wanting Nvidia to do a contract with Apple for projects to get everything done by having Nvidia people work with Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back