Contribute
Register

Change.org Apple publicly commit to work with Nvidia on drivers for Mac OS 10.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just signed! Let's get to 5000

Screenshot 2018-12-12 at 16.15.28.png

Are there any proof that Apple is "blocking" the drivers (meaning that Nvidia has those drivers already), or is it really the case that Nvidia does not yet have those drivers ready (and are trying to shift the blame) and those users are placing the blame on the wrong company? Or are both companies to blame for this?

The article on Forbes just seems to repeat what Nvidia said about the issue. There is nothing new.

Remember the last time when Nvidia only releases web drivers to support the Pascal cards 10 months after their release? If this can be used as reference, then don't expect RTX card support in Mojave or later for a long time.

Of course, if Nvidia is still committed to MacOS, then it should have drivers ready for Mojave for its other supported cards like the Maxwell and Pascal series, even if no RTX support is available. Why are those drivers missing?

Last edited:
I still don't think it makes any sense to annoy Apple about another company's products.

If Goodyear tires didn't work with Ford cars, do you petition Ford to force Goodyear to make tires for their cars?

I think petitioning Nvidia and Jensen Huang makes more sense. It's Nvidia who releases Nvidia web drivers, not Apple.

Does Apple need to sign these drivers before they are released?

Nvidia is already registered. They can sign it. They don't have any drivers ready.

I think this is the case. It’s the meta/cuda problem. Also it’s really not a big market for them so I can imagine a hard sell for the company to put resources on it.

Nvidia is already registered. They can sign it. They don't have any drivers ready.

I still don't think it makes any sense to annoy Apple about another company's products.

If Goodyear tires didn't work with Ford cars, do you petition Ford to force Goodyear to make tires for their cars?

I think petitioning Nvidia and Jensen Huang makes more sense. It's Nvidia who releases Nvidia web drivers, not Apple.

No, it's like this: Goodyear has been making great tires and has a track record of working with Ford cars. Ford creates a new ad campaign claiming that their cars are compatible with all tires, since they created a replaceable function(ie: thunderbolt 3) to allow all tires. Next thing you know, Ford does a recall to update the ABS brakes. Now, these new ABS brakes are optimized to work with Westlake Tires (AMD), and are potentially dangerous on Goodyear tires. Some could go as far as to say that the Ford car is useless for people without Westlake tires. This created an artificial monopoly, which forces consumers to go out and buy Westlake tires. Ford has a moral obligation to make the new ABS brakes compatible with Goodyear tires.

If Ford really did this btw, there would be a huge class action lawsuit demanding compensation for loss of wages, etc. due to anti-consumer anti-freemarket monopolistic practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back