Graphics
HD 5770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,
So I have the first Intel Mac mini (core solo model) that I upgraded to a core 2 duo a few years ago by swapping the CPU. It's been working great ever since. Since Lion is out though, it thinks my mac mini is unsupported as the model identifier (macmini1,1) technically isn't compatible with Lion, but my upgraded CPU is. Trouble is, it won't let me install. Does anyone know of a way to change the model ID on a NON hackintosh? It's pretty straightforward on those, but can't figure it out on a real mac. Maybe it's not possible?

Thanks,

So there's no need to change it, here's the fix to install Lion on unsupported hardware:

1. Put the unsupported Mac in Target Disk mode and plug it into a Lion supported Mac.
2. Run the lion installer and make sure to choose your unsupported Mac's hard drive. Let the install finish.
3. Boot back into the supported Mac's OS, and put the unsupported Mac back to target disk mode.
4. Delete the PlatformSupport.plist at /System/Library/CoreServices on the unsupported Mac's hard drive
5. That's it! Reboot the Unsupported Mac and it should boot right in to Lion normally.

Sweet thanks for posting I have a core duo 1.66 that I'm going to switch to core 2 duo 2.33 and was worried about that

Good hack! Thanks… is there any way to do this without having to use another Mac? Perhaps by modifying the installer? Is there a way to tell the installer that this is a different type of machine?

Thanks!

I am not sure what my model identifier is.
Running 10.9.4 (as shipped) with an Intel i7 (2.6Ghz).
Is the model id on this mini something easy to identify?
Mac mini (Late 2012)?
Snow leopard only runs on sandy bridge...does this kill it for me?

Running Snow Leopard is SO important to my workflow that it is a deal killer on the upgrade.

Oh rosetta, where are you?
My new mac mini shipped with Mavericks and I really want snow leopard to run.

Mavericks will boot to iBoot in Hackintosh, but the KEXTs are a struggle for me. Anyone else try this?

Thanks!
- DL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back