2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Plus
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Have a slightly older build, still on Sierra, using nVidia. I read that AMD RX 5x0 cards are natively supported and was expecting to simply be able to swap, but I cannot load macOS when the RX 580 (tried a 570 as well) - it gets thru the boot process then hangs. Tried debug mode but it does a glitch which makes the last few lines of text. Is there something simple I'm missing? I remb when first installing on nVidia w/ the GTX 770 a long time ago it was smooth as butter, didn't really have to do anything special, and all the upgrades also went smooth (ML -> Mavericks -> Yosemite -> El Cap -> Sierra), nothing special to do, literally just run the installer; I would like to keep it this way, is this doable with an AMD card or do I have to do a lot of extra legwork everytime I install updates? If so I'll just buy a 1080 instead, but I have this RX 580 on hand which I'd like to use if possible.

Have a slightly older build, still on Sierra, using nVidia. I read that AMD RX 5x0 cards are natively supported and was expecting to simply be able to swap, but I cannot load macOS when the RX 580 (tried a 570 as well) - it gets thru the boot process then hangs. Tried debug mode but it does a glitch which makes the last few lines of text. Is there something simple I'm missing? I remb when first installing on nVidia w/ the GTX 770 a long time ago it was smooth as butter, didn't really have to do anything special, and all the upgrades also went smooth (ML -> Mavericks -> Yosemite -> El Cap -> Sierra), nothing special to do, literally just run the installer; I would like to keep it this way, is this doable with an AMD card or do I have to do a lot of extra legwork everytime I install updates? If so I'll just buy a 1080 instead, but I have this RX 580 on hand which I'd like to use if possible.

I have just upgraded my z170/Skylake system from a GTX960 to RX560 - a decision made after a messed up upgrade to High Sierra (messed up enough to start with a fresh install). I am glad I made the upgrade - the RX560 (Gigabyte 4GB) is 100% supported - for the first time everything is working (including iBooks).
The only items required (for the RX560 card) I think were:
  • Latest Clover version
  • Select Graphics/RadeonDeInit in clover configurator
  • Add Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to CLOVER/kexts/Other (system was booting without Whatevergreen, but was reported as a R9xxx card IIRC).
The system I have now is 100% working (I have not found anything not working or even misreported). I will also not have to bother with upgrade macOS/upgrade webdrivers mess now that I have replaced the nVidia card.... happy days! :)

RX 580 is only supported natively from 10.12.6 and up and as JimC65 stated you need to add RadeonDeInit in the Graphics section of your Clover config in order to be able to boot.

I have just upgraded my z170/Skylake system from a GTX960 to RX560 - a decision made after a messed up upgrade to High Sierra (messed up enough to start with a fresh install). I am glad I made the upgrade - the RX560 (Gigabyte 4GB) is 100% supported - for the first time everything is working (including iBooks).
  • Latest Clover version
  • Add Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to CLOVER/kexts/Other (system was booting without Whatevergreen, but was reported as a R9xxx card IIRC).
The system I have now is 100% working (I have not found anything not working or even misreported). I will also not have to bother with upgrade macOS/upgrade webdrivers mess now that I have replaced the nVidia card.... happy days! :)

Whilst I have seen several posts describing successful RX560 systems, there seems little information regarding multiple monitor support. I would like to drive 3 monitors with a RX560 - does anyone know if this is possible. Most RX560s seem to have DVI-D, HDMI and DP connectors which would match my existing monitors. Has anyone tried thus?

• Latest Clover version

Normally you need only Whatevergreen, not both WEG + Clovers RadeonInit!
Whatevergreen does all of REdeoniInit + patches shown GPU Card Name.

RX 580 fully supported? How about its performance under macOS?
There's no such thing as "fully supported". Currently all AMD RX 5xx and Vega cards need to have some configuration to be done. Either using RadeonDeInit setting in Clover or installing two kexts to enable the RX 580 (Lilu & Whatevergreen kexts).
I have Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB successfully setup on my old system based on i7-3770K.

I have the same MB as macnb and I am running an Asus RX 560 OC 4GB with Lilu and Whatevergreen kext driving three monitors, two 23'@1080p and one Samsung 27' 4K.

There's no such thing as "fully supported". Currently all AMD RX 5xx and Vega cards need to have some configuration to be done. Either using RadeonDeInit setting in Clover or installing two kexts to enable the RX 580 (Lilu & Whatevergreen kexts).
I have Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB successfully setup on my old system based on i7-3770K.

Sounds like it was worthing. The total price of a self-built machine is only half of a Apple's machine with same primary hardwares (CPU, Graphic card, 4K monitor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back