Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi.

How can I change the iMac icon in the Finder sidebar to a MacPro?

I'm using Clover with SMBIOS MacPro3,1.

MacPro.png

I know what you're talking about. I have five Hackintoshes set up as Mac Pro 3,1. Most are normal, but two are like yours. One shows an iMac icon in the Finder sidebar and another shows a Mac Mini. But everywhere else in the OS that the icons appear, they show as Mac Pros -- even when you click the Finder sidebar icon and Get Info. It's weird.

My solution was to turn off the device display for the system in the Finder sidebar preferences and to turn on display for all my SSDs and HDDs. Out of sight, out of mind. As long as I can see my drives, I don't really need the system icon there, anyway.

Did you try the customization suggested by nobodynose? Did it work?

Hi nobodynose and dr.macinstein.

I totally forgot about this thread. Thank you for your answers.

After reaching a kind of dead end I started a different approach. I played around with the SMBIOS of the iMacs and the benchmarks were even better than my default MacPro3,1 setup.

Out of sight, out of mind

So now everything is "in sync" and the results speak for themselves.(better scores in benchmarks and quicker shutdowns/restarts)

In the end this little icon gave me a little push in the right direction. The hardware just wanted to be an iMac in the first place but I was just too stubborn to acknowledge that. ;)

So much of life is like that. We get so frustrated when our ducks won't line up the way we want them to. But maybe that's because they want to line up a different way, which is even better than the way we had intended. Thanks for sharing your results with the SYMBIOS.

Here's another example of how weird this problem is. This morning I went to the Sharing panel in System Preferences and changed the name of the computer that was showing up in the Finder sidebar as an iMac. It now shows up as a Mac Pro, as it should. Thinking I had found a solution, I tried the same thing with the computer that was showing up as a Mac Mini. But it still appears in the sidebar as a Mac Mini.

Life is like that, too. It's easy to fool yourself into thinking that the button you've pushed actually does something.

And, yes, I'm still hung up on my ducks lining up. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back