Contribute
Register

Chameleon ruined hackintosh, BIOS CANT FIND OPERATING SYSTEM, now won't let me reinstall?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
EVGA 01G-P3-1302-LR
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all,
I wrote a lot, but please if you can help me this hasn't happened to anyone else as far as i can see on the internet.
PROBLEMS: BIOS CANT FIND OPERATING SYSTEM, CAN NOT REINSTALL OPERATING SYSTEM. what happened below=

i'm not new to the hackintosh world but i've just encountered a problem and for once i'm REALLY stumped.

My hackintosh ran fine on osx Lion. I bought Mountain Lion to update, but I wanted to do a nice, clean install.
Following tutorials and guides closely, i downloaded Mountain Lion and put it on the flash drive and booted from it fine, wiped out my hard drive which originally had Lion on it, and installed ML with no issues.

Reset the hackintosh, booted from the flash drive into ML, and here is where I initially started getting problems. Using MultiBeast I always seemed to get Kernel panics so i tried another program specifically for my board, GA-Z86X-UD3H-B3, right from here: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2963

This program which is very similar to multibeast, (it just has only kexts needed for my board) worked GREAT. it game me chameleon as the boot loader and for the first time i was able to boot into Mountain Lion. The only issue was the sound. The volume box moved as i hit the keys on the keyboard, but it didnt put out sound.

So I tried to fix it with a roll back file that was placed on my desktop and it said before i could reinstall the kext i had to install chameleon. Which confused me because it's already installed but i clicked install then it said it failed. I reset my computer and NOW is where i have a really ind boggling issue

My BIOS can't find any OPERATING SYSTEM.

The hackintosh turns on, says Loading Operating System, but never loads anything. It won't boot from the HDD i have ML installed on, so i tried to boot from the flashdrive I have the installation on and its the SAME issue where it just won't load!!

UNLESS I unplug my HDD that has ML on it, then i get to a chimera screen to install ML but then it hangs on a white screen with the rainbow circle cursor!
I tried the installer with -x for safe mode, same thing, i tried -v for verbose mode, and it goes through all the command lines then to the same white screen with the rainbow cursor as before.

I have also tried R Boot but yet again with that, BIOS won't read it.

I've COMPLETELY run out of ideas..

I was thinking if I could install ML on one of my extra HDDs I have I could probably get my original HDD in disk utilities and format it.

The only problem is I can't get to the installer off my flashdrive, both in safe and verbose mode it hangs on a white screen (after the apple disappears) with the rainbow loading circle..

Any ideas on how to get past that anyone??

Thanks!

Do you have a regular bios or have you flashed to uefi? If the latter, remember you must boot from the legacy mode (P0, etc., not uefi). Try pressing F12 during boot so you can select the appropriate drive designator.

I've never flashed bios. I was running osx lion for over a year no problems.

I always use F12 to try to boot into flash drive or cd drive. Any other suggestions? :/

Hello after reading your post, I possibly think what has happened to you has happened to me as well, what ironic is that we have the same Gigabyte Z68 motherboard. At first I thought my hard drive had failed to the point I went out and bought a new one, but I was still perplexed when I couldn't even boot off of my unibeast mt lion USB stick. I'm curious did you ever fix this problem, please let me know your solution if you found one because everything you have experienced I have as well, I'm starting to think it has to do with the motherboard, but again please let me know your solution if you have one.

I found a solution to problem, you need to swap out the graphics card and then you should be able to reinstall off of usb stick, or disable the graphics card kexts if you're using an ATI Radeon card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back