Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a mostly stable system (barring a few issues with sleep)...as long as my backup external HDD and Logitech c920 webcam aren't plugged into USB. The issue seems to be worst with the 3.0 ports, but I have gotten a freeze from the webcam in a 2.0 port. Sometimes it will freeze immediately upon being plugged in. Sometimes if booting with accessories plugged in, the machine runs strangely, not connecting bluetooth for a minute or two, and then after a few mins it will hit a hard freeze. Since this is now happening with two different USB devices, I can say that there isn't anything wrong with the external HDD. There is, however, a chance that the webcam itself is broken. I just bought it today and this is the only picture I can get from it when in Quicktime, Photo Booth, and Skype:
Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 5.48.15 PM.jpg
mostly static with one strip of pixels that seem to change dependent on motion in front of the camera. Now this could be a defective device, or it could be something wonky going on with the USB hub, and not communicating the right picture. Who knows.

My first issue is to solve the USB freezing, though, and then I can assess the webcam. I have read other threads that suggest removing the GenericUSB kext. I do not have this in /S/L/E, though, and did not choose any USB-related kexts in MultiBeast settings when I configured things. I repaired permissions with Kext Utility and rebooted. Same problems. Anybody have any idea what I should try next?

I have this exact issue as well. I have everything working as I want it except USB3 devices. I have a couple of devices plugged into the USB 3 ports with no issues, however they are USB 2 devices (Xbox 360 controller and a wireless headset receiver). Whenever I plug in my Seagate USB3 hard drive, it's mounted, works for about 2 or 3 minutes then the system locks up permanently. I can't test whether or not this is with all USB3 devices as this hard drive is the only one I have to test with.

Searching has led me to the threads suggesting that I delete /S/L/E/GenericUSB...kext but it doesn't seem to exist on my install. Not sure if this is something people have installed from MultiBeast, but I never run it and the only kexts I've added manually are FakeSMC, NullCPUPM, realkecALC, RealtekRTL81xx, and RTL8812AU9. These are loaded through Clover's inject kext method.

So frustrating, right? To be so close to having a perfectly working machine only to have the more important accessories off limits. Bah!

I have turned of XHCI mode in my BIOS settings. I figure it's the USB3.0 that's causing the problems in general, whether it be in handoff or device recognition, or who knows what. But being that I don't own any 3.0 devices, for the time being I will see how stable the system is when all ports are defaulting to 2.0

Will update after a long enough period of stability to convince me it's 'fixed'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back