Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon VII
I've got everything working great on my Hackintosh, except I've come across 3 different USB 3.0 drives that cause OSX to freeze. The drives are Hitachi HGST Touro Mobile USB 3.0 portable 500GB hard drive, Lacie d2 USB 3.0 2TB hard drive, and a Seagate Backup Plus for Mac 1TB portable USB 3.0 hard drive. What's odd is that we took a SATA-USB 3.0 interface from a non-Mac version of the same drive and worked fine. Also, other Seagate and Western Digital portable USB 3.0 drives that I have tried work fine. And these 3 drives that freeze work fine when plugged in via USB 2.0.

I'm using an Asus Maximus V Extreme motherboard, and this happens with rear and front USB 3.0 ports. The DSDT is patched using the Maximus V Extreme, Intel HD4000, and Discrete Graphics patches from PJALM's repo. I also installed the USB 3.0 Universal option with Multibeast 5.4.1. I tried the Lacie and CalDigit USB 3.0 options in an older version of Multibeast with no luck. Any thoughts what could be causing this?

EDIT UPDATE: I just solved the problem on my system. I removed GenericUSBXHCI.kext that was installed with USB 3.0 Universal in Multibeast. Now all the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports work properly with all drives.

UPDATE: I thought removing GenericUSBXHCI.kext that was installed with USB 3.0 Universal in Multibeast fixed the problem, and it did in a way, but now the Asmedia USB 3.0 ports don't work.. those on the back panel and those on the motherboard header. But those drives that would cause OSX to freeze before now work fine, so there is a problem or conflict created by GenericUSBXHCI.kext that was installed with USB 3.0 Universal in Multibeast. Does anyone know of an alternate kext to get the ports working without causing this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back