Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I'm an avid mac user and I'm thinking of building a budget Hackintosh as a project. Are the new Celeron G1840 and its iGPU compatible? I'm thinking my build doesn't need a dedicated graphics card. Here's what I've come up with:

Intel Celeron G1840 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital WD Blue 320GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Xion XON-720P_WT MicroATX Slim Case w/300W Power Supply
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

(Totalling about $340 before taxes)

Thanks for any advice!

Hi all,

I'm an avid mac user and I'm thinking of building a budget Hackintosh as a project. Are the new Celeron G1840 and its iGPU compatible? I'm thinking my build doesn't need a dedicated graphics card. Here's what I've come up with:

Thanks for any advice!

Not compatible. Neither the CPU nor the iGPU built in to the CPU. Go for Core i-series with at least HD4600.

Wrong. The Celerons (CPU) work well as I have seen on the forum.

Wrong. The Celerons (CPU) work well as I have seen on the forum.
It doesn't work well especially in Mavericks. It has HD graphics not supported in OS X, it can be run but with the minimal use. Really no use at all apart from loading the OS.

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice!

Actually the processor is supported in 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion). It has not got any supported graphics so you would need to add a suitably supported graphics card.
There might never be support for the processor in Mavericks or any upcoming OS X release. Looking to the future the i3-4330 is going to be good value for its performance. Its easy to install Mavericks and HDMI audio is easily possible.

EDIT: Here is a similar build using the i3-4330 processor with a GA-H87M-HD3 board:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/132503-first-timer-i3-4330-ga-h87m-hd3-hd4600.html#post812281

Adrian B

It doesn't work well especially in Mavericks. It has HD graphics not supported in OS X, it can be run but with the minimal use. Really no use at all apart from loading the OS.

But, who were talking about the iGPU? I said as CPU they all work well, not as CPU+iGPU. Adding a GT610 to the cart makes it a lot cheaper than a sole i3-4330 with HD4600.

But, who were talking about the iGPU? I said as CPU they all work well, not as CPU+iGPU. Adding a GT610 to the cart makes it a lot cheaper than a sole i3-4330 with HD4600.

The G1840 & GT610 is a cheaper option, but new builders must also consider that the Haswell Pentium and Celeron range only works with Mountain Lion 10.8.5, the original poster and anyone reading this thread needs to be aware of this. As it is not supported in 10.9.3 then the chances are it will never be supported other than in 10.8.5

The older Ivy Bridge models like the G2020 are still available and can be matched up with a B75M type motherboard and a GT 610 or similar GPU and will work with Mavericks. You will need a GT620/630 level of GPU to get similar graphics performance from the i3-4330. If budget is real tight or your requirements are for a simple low powered system then there are options available that can work.

This site prefers users to use a CPU with compatible onboard graphics as it can be much easier for those with less computer building experience to get working results quickly and with generally less frustration. Working without supported onboard graphics can be more complex, with an increased possibility of needing additional boot flags to get things working. Individual users will make their own purchasing decision given the needs and priorities available to them.

Adrian B

The G1840 & GT610 is a cheaper option, but new builders must also consider that the Haswell Pentium and Celeron range only works with Mountain Lion 10.8.5, the original poster and anyone reading this thread needs to be aware of this. As it is not supported in 10.9.3 then the chances are it will never be supported other than in 10.8.5
Adrian B
+1 who knows if the GT 610 will even have support in OS X 10.10 which will debut later this year.
We do know that HD 4600 graphics will be supported for a long time because current production
Macs use the integrated Intel graphics. My old core I3-2105 with HD 3000 still works perfectly
today running Mavericks. Who would want to stay with Mountain Lion for the next 3-4 years ?

Thanks, you guys are great! The i3-4330 is looking more appealing now, considering my inexperience in this endeavour. As for the motherboard, what's the difference between an H87 or B85 model? The former will cost about 30$ more, which conflicts with my penchant for cutting corners...

The older Ivy Bridge models like the G2020 are still available and can be matched up with a B75M type motherboard and a GT 610 or similar GPU and will work with Mavericks. You will need a GT620/630 level of GPU to get similar graphics performance from the i3-4330. If budget is real tight or your requirements are for a simple low powered system then there are options available that can work.

This site prefers users to use a CPU with compatible onboard graphics as it can be much easier for those with less computer building experience to get working results quickly and with generally less frustration. Working without supported onboard graphics can be more complex, with an increased possibility of needing additional boot flags to get things working. Individual users will make their own purchasing decision given the needs and priorities available to them.

Adrian B

If I am not mistaken, "DrTom" has a build with G1820 and in its description he mentioned that he tested it with Mavericks (10.9.1) without any problems. It is pretty odd removing the support just on a whim in a Combo update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back