i7-6950X
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Hello everyone.

I hope you’re all having a good day.

I’m trying to do a clean install on MacOS Catalina 10.15.5. But I’ve not been able to even boot into the USB installer.

My System Specs are:
_ASUS X99 Deluxe II
_intel i7 6950X Broadwell-E
_AMD RX 5700 XT Anniversary edition
_128GB of DDR4 RAM @ 2400MHz
_ASUS Thunderbolt Card
_Bootloader Clover r5119 (latest version)
_The drive I’m trying to install to is a NMVE Samsung 950 Pro

I’ve been trying for a couple of days as I was having some issues relating to the Memory Fix (AptioMemoryFix). But I solved those by changing the FakeCPU in my config.plst. I actually don’t know if it was that that fixed it since it’s together with a million other things I tried including trying to change boot loader to OpenCore. For now I prefer Clover.

Now the boot process is going quite a bit further but I’m having some Kernel Panics and reboots at the point shown in the picture. I tried googling the issue before bothering this forum and several things but no luck yet.

To troubleshoot the issue I’m currently doing the following steps:
_I disconnected all not essential drives, I only have the target drive plugged in
_I removed all the PCI-e Cards other than the GPU.
_I Used all the suggested BIOS setting (no OC or other extra)
_Left only 2 modules of RAM out of 8 in the correct slots (per MOBO manufacturer Manual)
_ALL external peripherals are disconnected. Just my monitor, keyboard and mouse
_the monitor is connected to the GPU via HDMI
_Plug the USB Installer into a USB2 port, and even creating another installer on a spare drive and connecting internally via SATA

I have a MacBook Pro where I can modify the EFI folder and do the necessary changes.

I must point out that the Hack was working amazingly for the past 3+ years with a GTX 980 Ti (last working OS High Sierra). Since I was having issue in booting into the installer from the start I ditched the old EFI folder and build a new one

I’m attaching the photo of my Kernel Boot and my EFI Folder.

If anyone can help me I’ll be very grateful. I bet it’s an extremely stupid fix I overlooked due to being tired.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• EFI_10_15_5_X99D2_i76950X_FB_23062020.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 174
  • KernelPanic.jpg
    KernelPanic.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 167
UPDATE - it appears that I had to learn the hard way not to use Clover Configurator, I cleaned up the config.plst file with xcode and not at least I was able to boot into the installer. Hopefully there will be more successful updates.

UPDATE 2 - apparently it works.....proceeding now with post install

UPDATE 3 - I'm having the memory issue again and I get stuck at boot at the string of ++++++++
The issue presents when I'm trying to insert more RAM modules and also adding their details to the config.plst file.
Right now I'm booting with 32GB of RAM, whenever I try to go higher (I started with other 2 modules so 64GB), the issue presents itself.
Any Ideas?

UPDATE 4 - I was able to fix the above by changing SMBIOS to MacPro7,1. Hopefully this will be my last update before I can edit this thread as SOLVED

Hi,

I have almost the same hardware (except video card) and was not able even enter to setup screen and still on High Sierra. Could you please share your working EFI folder?

Thanks in advance!

I got the Deluxe II running Catalina using opencore. However only usb 3.1 is working as I use dsdt of x99 a ii. If interested I can share my efi.

Yes please, I would be very grateful!

Ok. Here we go. It still needs quite some tinkering... At the moment I‘ve hardly got any time for that- and if only at night. System Definition is IMac Pro. For me only usb 3.1 ports work. Also the CPU does not throttle down as it seems..

Attachments

• EFI_ilu01.zip
    2 MB · Views: 168
Hey @Flav19-89 !

Interested in reading what you are writing!

I am in the start of making my hackintosh a hackintosh again. It has just been a gaming PC for the last 2 years.

I believe my speccs are kinda the same as yours:
  • Asus X99 Deluxe (not II)
  • Intel i7 5960x
  • 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2400
  • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT
  • M2 Samsung SM951 256gb

I was reading the "main guide" for doing a fresh install of Catalina, which I intend to do. I just wonder if that is where you started except for your modifications, to get it working?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back