Catalina + Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
gigabyte designare z390
CPU
i7
Graphics
Is it safe to use Windows 10 and Catalina with the same bios settings, as long as they’re on separate ssds? I can’t seem to find a clear answer on this.

I thought I saw somewhere that Windows 10 could acrew up your Mac drive potentially. It feels like a dumb question, but just want to be safe.

Yes, you can use both Win10 and Catalina on separate SSDs with no problems. The problems come from Win10 installer and Win10 major updates overwriting the EFI of the Mac OS drive if the Win10 drive is not the first drive the BIOS/UEFI sees when it boots the system.
Best is to set the Win10 update to delay major updates as long as possible and only allow security updates to be done automatically, or have the system notify you that updates are available and allow you to install if you wish. Personally, I disconnect all other drives before updating Win10.

Yes, you can use both Win10 and Catalina on separate SSDs with no problems. The problems come from Win10 installer and Win10 major updates overwriting the EFI of the Mac OS drive if the Win10 drive is not the first drive the BIOS/UEFI sees when it boots the system.
Best is to set the Win10 update to delay major updates as long as possible and only allow security updates to be done automatically, or have the system notify you that updates are available and allow you to install if you wish. Personally, I disconnect all other drives before updating Win10.
and what about the bios settings? remains as is for catalina ?

and what about the bios settings? remains as is for catalina ?
No need to change any BIOS settings at all unless you want to/have to leave the other drives connected. In that case I would make the Win10 drive first in BBS boot order for the updates, then change it back to the drive with Clover or OC boot loader on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back