Contribute
Register

Catalina + VirtualSMC > monitor CPU/GPU sensors and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have it go to a separate folder that isn't included in my inbox. That way it's easy to delete them all in one fell swoop. That way you don't end up with 3,000 plus junk emails in your inbox that you have to sort through to find emails you want to read.
I know were kind of veering away from 'iStats' a little, but I applied 'rules' to sort the rubbish from the not so rubbish. Rules in Apple Mail tend to forget there job after a while.

So many spams! My server manages spams for me, and sends me one email every day with a spam resume... so I'm able to check. I receive 2 or 3 spams in my box per day... (btw, all emails from tonymacx86 are spam for my server).

@craighazan if it could help, here what it's look like on my config. iStat cannot find my GPU and CPU sensors, fan sensors, etc.
1585901471123.png

HWMonitorSMC2 can find CPU, GPU, RAM and hardrive but no fan (compared to craighazan):
Capture d’écran 2020-04-03 à 10.33.02.png

Regarding fans in HWMonitorSMC2, I have only the GPU fan. Please do not say anything about GPU temperature, yes it is high. This graphic card is a nightmare, an old one, not a good one... I'm waiting for a great deal to replace it but with covid, it's not easy in EU.
Capture d’écran 2020-04-03 à 10.37.00.png

By the way, do you know a software to manage GPU fan? I think it is not monitored at all, and that's why the temperature is so high. It stays always at the same frequency, even if the temperature is high. This graphic card had always high temperatures but normally if I'm able to manage fans, it is ok. Something like MSI Afterburner on Win. I tried several software like Mac fans control but they do not detect fans.

Last edited:
Just a warning:
If you use VirtualBox you might see problems with guests doing weird things like segfaults and buserrors if you install "Intel Power Gadget" on your system. Not known if this affects VMware or Parallels as well.
Found out the hard way….

I have the reverse problem with iStat: I can see all the CPU and disk temp sensors, but only one fan (which one, I wonder? there are at least 4 counting the cpu cooler fan, 7 counting all three GPU fans)... but no "GPU Proximity". I'm using VirtualSMC as of late January. I'll be reading this thread more closely to see if I can understand what y'all are talking about (kexts, apps, a combination of both?) in the way of workarounds.

[update:]. tried installing Intel Power Gadget and got an install fail:

2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: PackageKit: Executing script "./postinstall" in /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.YNf0Wr/Scripts/com.intel.pkg.PowerGadget.driver.IO4OD1
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: ./postinstall: chown: /Library/Extensions/EnergyDriver.kext: No such file or directory
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: ./postinstall: chmod: /Library/Extensions/EnergyDriver.kext: No such file or directory
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: ./postinstall: /Library/Extensions/EnergyDriver.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi install_monitor[12903]: Re-included: /Applications, /Library, /System, /bin, /private, /sbin, /usr
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: PackageKit: releasing backupd
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: PackageKit: allow user idle system sleep
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: PackageKit: Cleared responsibility for install from 12897.
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: PackageKit: Cleared permissions on Installer.app
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Install Intel Power Gadget.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postinstall, NSURL=file:///Volumes/Intel%20Power%20Gadget/Install%20Intel%20Power%20Gadget.pkg#driver.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.intel.pkg.PowerGadget.driver, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Install Intel Power Gadget.pkg”.} {
NSFilePath = "./postinstall";
NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cInstall Intel Power Gadget.pkg\U201d.";
NSURL = "file:///Volumes/Intel%20Power%20Gadget/Install%20Intel%20Power%20Gadget.pkg#driver.pkg";
PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.intel.pkg.PowerGadget.driver";
}
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: PackageKit: Running idle tasks
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi Installer[12897]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Install Intel Power Gadget.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postinstall, NSURL=file:///Volumes/Intel%20Power%20Gadget/Install%20Intel%20Power%20Gadget.pkg#driver.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.intel.pkg.PowerGadget.driver, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Install Intel Power Gadget.pkg”.}
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: PackageKit: Removing client PKInstallDaemonClient pid=12897, uid=501 (/System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer)
2020-05-13 14:43:37-07 KiKi installd[597]: PackageKit: Done with sandbox removals
2020-05-13 14:43:38-07 KiKi Installer[12897]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
2020-05-13 14:43:38-07 KiKi Installer[12897]: IFDInstallController 13BCB60 state = 8
2020-05-13 14:43:38-07 KiKi Installer[12897]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
2020-05-13 14:43:38-07 KiKi Installer[12897]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

Looks like there's a kext missing. After a quick scroogle (that's a scrambling, hasty google) I found advice indicating that an earlier version of IPG might work, so rolled it back to 3.5.9. This installed without error, but it doesn't change anything: I still can't see GPU data in iStat Menus. The power usage is interesting, though, so I'm glad I discovered this app by reading the thread. Still dunno how to get my AMD GPU sensors to be visible...

Last edited:
I never found a solution for this problem. I think VirtualSMC is not optimized, and not done... It's probably better to not use it, and install FakeSMC?! In my case, only CPU fans are working, all other ones are not managed at all.

BTW, I updated VirtualSMC to last version, no change...

Last edited:
[update:]. tried installing Intel Power Gadget and got an install fail:

I have no idea about your crash right now... It works on my config...

Hi all,

I read in some other forum that VirtualSMC does not read directly from the GPU Sensor but reading from Apple Driver instead, which is inaccurate.

I am using Asus z390-A, i5-8600 in Mojave 10.14.6 and just recently switching from Sapphire Pulse RX560 4GB to Sapphire Nitro RX580 4GB both running dual monitor setup. I noticed that my RX580 runs at 140W on idle with temperatures around 50degC, both seen using iStat or HWSMC2. This condition happens with seemingly high core and memory frequency, at around 1,xGHz even in idle.

On my other computer, I run using Gigabyte Z390UD, i5-8600 with Mojave 10.14.6 running Pulse RX560 4GB (the one I moved from previous machine) in single monitor setup, shows idle power of "only" 20W. When I run FCPX, rendering brings the computer to around 80W with all core and memory frequency fired up to maximum.

I read elsewhere that Radeon cards have bad power issue when used in dual monitor setup, but I am just curious, is the difference really that big? Anybody with similar setup (Nitro RX580 in dual monitor setup running Mojave) can share their measurement under HWSMC2 or iStat?

I looked at dGPU Power Management Setting Guide, and everything works as native using iMac19,1 with correct board-id and correct heuristic shown by IORegExplorer.

Or, is this because of custom BIOS, considering I buy this card as 2nd hand? Means that maybe I need to reflash the BIOS back to its original?

Anybody can share their experience about this?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I read in some other forum that VirtualSMC does not read directly from the GPU Sensor but reading from Apple Driver instead, which is inaccurate.

I am using Asus z390-A, i5-8600 in Mojave 10.14.6 and just recently switching from Sapphire Pulse RX560 4GB to Sapphire Nitro RX580 4GB both running dual monitor setup. I noticed that my RX580 runs at 140W on idle with temperatures around 50degC, both seen using iStat or HWSMC2. This condition happens with seemingly high core and memory frequency, at around 1,xGHz even in idle.

On my other computer, I run using Gigabyte Z390UD, i5-8600 with Mojave 10.14.6 running Pulse RX560 4GB (the one I moved from previous machine) in single monitor setup, shows idle power of "only" 20W. When I run FCPX, rendering brings the computer to around 80W with all core and memory frequency fired up to maximum.

I read elsewhere that Radeon cards have bad power issue when used in dual monitor setup, but I am just curious, is the difference really that big? Anybody with similar setup (Nitro RX580 in dual monitor setup running Mojave) can share their measurement under HWSMC2 or iStat?

I looked at dGPU Power Management Setting Guide, and everything works as native using iMac19,1 with correct board-id and correct heuristic shown by IORegExplorer.

Or, is this because of custom BIOS, considering I buy this card as 2nd hand? Means that maybe I need to reflash the BIOS back to its original?

Anybody can share their experience about this?

Thank you.
Hi, I've been using VirtualSMC with SMCSuperIO.kext and SMCProcessor.kext but no GPU temperature detected yet.
Can you help me?
Thanks
p.s. I've checked and they are loaded :(

Hi, I've been using VirtualSMC with SMCSuperIO.kext and SMCProcessor.kext but no GPU temperature detected yet.
Can you help me?
Thanks
p.s. I've checked and they are loaded :(

What GPU you are using?
Are you using correct Lilu and VSMC version?
Do you have the GPU power monitored?

Suggest you complete your profile so others can easily understand the context of your system and problem.

What GPU you are using?
Are you using correct Lilu and VSMC version?
Do you have the GPU power monitored?

Suggest you complete your profile so others can easily understand the context of your system and problem.
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I'm using 5500XT and last version of Lilu and VSMC.
Can you tell me what you mean with GPU power monitored?
Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back