Contribute
Register

Catalina - Vega64 - FCPX issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
@davidereitano,

You have defined the PlatfromID incorrectly in your config.plist :-

View attachment 436760

In Clover Configuration the value of AAPL,ig-platfrom-id should read 0300983E (0x3E980003 in reverse byte order)

Or if we look at your raw code :-

Code:
<key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                AD6YAAM=
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
                <data>
                AAAwAQ==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </dict>

The <data> value for the <key> AAPL,ig-platfrom-id should be "AwCYPg==" (without the quotes)

The only other thing I see wrong is that you are renaming the GPU ACPU devices using Clover :-

View attachment 436763

As it states in the Liliu + Plug-in's guide :-

It is best to let Lilu + WhatEverGreen do the ACPI renames
If your also using AppleALC for Audio then you should also let it do the renames for HECI and HDAS ..

I've attached a copy of your config.plist with the changes I think you need to make.

Cheers
Jay
Thank you. Very kind. I changed mine with yours, but nothing changed.
Also with IGPU disabled by bios, the rendering is still done with the CPU and both Vegas are IDLE

As you can see in the screenshot:
During a rendering (4k footage) GPUs are in IDLE, cpu is using all cores at 50%.
I tried both CSL and Windows WHQL settings in BIOS Enabled and Disable but nothing changes.
Now the iGPU is completely disabled

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-21 14.01.56.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-21 14.01.56.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
Thank you. Very kind. I changed mine with yours, but nothing changed.Also with IGPU disabled by bios, the rendering is still done with the CPU and both Vegas are IDLE

During a rendering (4k footage) GPUs are in IDLE, cpu is using all cores at 50%. I tried both CSL and Windows WHQL settings in BIOS Enabled and Disable but nothing changes. Now the iGPU is completely disabled

@davidereitano,

Hummmm ... thats is very odd, from the debug files you've posted everything looks to be configured correctly.

One possibility is that your FCPX project is only doing transcoding which tends to be done mostly on the CPU, effects and transitions tend be rendered on the GPU.

One way to test this would be to load up the BruceX video test project, it has no source video material so everything is either an effect or a transition so its very GPU heavy when exporting ..

Download the BruceX 5K video test FCPX bundle from this link :-

Unzip and add the bundle to your library, with such a powerful system as yours I would use BruceX X5 Project which is basically the same clip repeated 5 times.

Try exporting the project as ProRes 422 and monitor your GPU load .. if you see the GPU being used heavily then everything is working as expected and it's a case that your project does not contain much GPU intensive footage/effects.

There is also an 8K version of the BruceX test which will be even more GPU intensive :-

If everything is working then you may want to post your results on this thread :-

I highly recommend that you do this test as it will tell us if you have an issue or not, if you still see no GPU activity when exporting the BruceX test project then something is still not right.

The only other option I can think of to try is to switch to the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS.

Although those systems ship with a Xeon CPU and a T2 Chip several users with Z370/Z790 motherboards and i9 CPU's have been able to resolve maddening GPU issues by using the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS.

It's not a configuration i've been able to test myself but it might be worth a shot in your case. As well as changing the SMBIOS to iMacPro 1,1 you will need to generate a new set of Critical SystemID's such as S/N, MLB .. etc but if you use Clover Configurator it will do this for you.

I would first try it with the IGPU enabled in the BIOS using the headless PlatfromID we configured in the last few posts (dGPU should be configured as Primary) that way you should still have IQS available for Finder, Airplay .. etc.

If that does not work then try it with the IGPU disabled in the BIOS.

Thats all I can think of to try ...
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Hi there!

I seem to be having a similar problem, but only with one Vega 64 and 7700k. When exporting bruce 8K Vega usage is only around 10%. Geekbench score is over 60000, so that is ok.

I am using Imac 18,3 with iGpu on.

@davidereitano,

Hummmm ... thats is very odd, from the debug files you've posted everything looks to be configured correctly.

One possibility is that your FCPX project is only doing transcoding which tends to be done mostly on the CPU, effects and transitions tend be rendered on the GPU.

One way to test this would be to load up the BruceX video test project, it has no source video material so everything is either an effect or a transition so its very GPU heavy when exporting ..

Download the BruceX 5K video test FCPX bundle from this link :-

Unzip and add the bundle to your library, with such a powerful system as yours I would use BruceX X5 Project which is basically the same clip repeated 5 times.

Try exporting the project as ProRes 422 and monitor your GPU load .. if you see the GPU being used heavily then everything is working as expected and it's a case that your project does not contain much GPU intensive footage/effects.

There is also an 8K version of the BruceX test which will be even more GPU intensive :-

If everything is working then you may want to post your results on this thread :-

I highly recommend that you do this test as it will tell us if you have an issue or not, if you still see no GPU activity when exporting the BruceX test project then something is still not right.

The only other option I can think of to try is to switch to the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS.

Although those systems ship with a Xeon CPU and a T2 Chip several users with Z370/Z790 motherboards and i9 CPU's have been able to resolve maddening GPU issues by using the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS.

It's not a configuration i've been able to test myself but it might be worth a shot in your case. As well as changing the SMBIOS to iMacPro 1,1 you will need to generate a new set of Critical SystemID's such as S/N, MLB .. etc but if you use Clover Configurator it will do this for you.

I would first try it with the IGPU enabled in the BIOS using the headless PlatfromID we configured in the last few posts (dGPU should be configured as Primary) that way you should still have IQS available for Finder, Airplay .. etc.

If that does not work then try it with the IGPU disabled in the BIOS.

Thats all I can think of to try ...
Cheers
Jay
Thanks Hay.
I tried the MacPro 1,1 SMBIOS but it didn't boot with that.
Now returned to iMac 19,1 and installed the last beta and... BOOOM! It works!
8K BruceX in 21 Seconds!
5K BruceX in less than 2 seconds!

Whooooah!

8K BruceX in 21 Seconds!

@davidereitano

Those are some pretty awesome render times ... nice :thumbup:

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Hay.
I tried the MacPro 1,1 SMBIOS but it didn't boot with that.
8K BruceX in 21 Seconds!

Whooooah!
Hi, but with the limited number of pci lanes of the 9700, 16, do you really take advantage of the 2 Vega 64 ?
have you did tthe same test with just one card to compare the resulsts ?

Hi, but with the limited number of pci lanes of the 9700, 16, do you really take advantage of the 2 Vega 64 ?

@JOE971,

@davidereitano's system will be running both GPU's at x8 PCIe lanes leaving 4 lanes for a M.2 NVMe SSD or other PCIe connected device.

Running a GPU at x8 rather than x16 actually has very little performance loss compared to running at x16.
Very few applications can actually push data at a high enough bandwidth to use the full x16 capability.

2 GPU's at x8 lanes each will still be significantly quicker than a single GPU at x16 as can bee seen from his impressive FCPX BruceX render times as it's double the TFLOPS compute performance.

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back